[BitPim-devel] phone serial communication
Ronald Zachariah
2005-08-22 16:38:59 UTC

I wanted to play around with the bitpim source and hopefully add some better
supoort for my LG535 if I figure it out. I have been able to use the
filesystem view using generic CDMA phone profile so far and have been trying
to decode the various fileformats used in the phone.

However it seems like the basic serial communication to the phone is a bit
buggy. It seems like the first time I try to access the phone in the
filesystem view 30% of the time I will get an error saying that it is unable
to communicate with the phone. Also it appears that when it is able to
communicate with the phone it is only at 38400 bps. So I have a couple
question regarding the basic serial communication with the phone.

In my phone there is a menu in settings/setup called DATA IN. In there are
options for Connection [off, Once, Always] , Method [USB, RS232(COM Port),
Closed], and Speed[19200,115200,230400]. Do these settings relate to
bitpim's communication with the phone? I've tired playing around with these
settings but it does not seem to effect bitpims ability to connect to the
phone. Does anyone know what this menu is for?

I tried sending the basic start string using pyserial commands direct from a
python command line [ie. p.write('\x59\x0c\xc4\xc1\x7e') and p.read(10) with
p = serial.Serial() ] and I was able to get responses when the baudrate was
38400 and under, but at 57600 and higher I would fail to get any response.
Is this a limitation of the prolific cable, because in the phones setting
menu above it seems that the phone should be able to operate at 230400. I
am thinking there might be some mismatch in the baudrate generators used on
the phone and on the prolific chip that is causing the problems at higher
speeds. Is it normal to only be able to connect at 38400 or is there a
problem with my phone / cable? Also it appears that the baudrate is
autodetected by the phone, is there some way to manually set the baudrate in
the protocol? I would like to speed up the communication because at 38400
it takes a long time to to transfer media files to and from the phone.

thanks

Ron

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNĀ® Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.