[BitPim-devel] [BitPim-Devel] Motorola Phone Support
Antonio Russo
2008-05-03 22:03:00 UTC
Hello,

I am interested in adding support for the ROKR Z6m. Using minicom,
I have no trouble getting at the phone book records:

<at+mode=2
OK
+MBAN: Copyright 2000-2007 Motorola, Inc.
<at+cpbs=?
+CPBS: ("ME","MT","ON","DC","MC","RC","AD","QD")
OK
<at+cpbs="AD"
OK
<at+cpbr=?
+CPBR: (10-18009),40,24
OK
<at+cpbr=10,18009
+CPBR: 1005,"#729",129,"Alltel Payment"
+CPBR: 1006,"#668",129,"Alltel Minutes of Use"
+CPBR: 1007,"#869",129,"Alltel Roadside Assist"
+CPBR: 1008,"*611",129,"Alltel Customer Service"
+CPBR: 1009,"18887233360",129,"Alltel Handset Insurance"
OK
... but, looking through the files in src/phones/, I can
see that most bounds (e.g., 10,18009) are hardcoded as constants
into the modules. This has suggested that it would be easy
to add basic support for a large class of Motorola phones
simply by, instead, determining these bounds at runtime.

However this would require significant changes to all of
{com,p}_moto{_cdma,z710}.py (due to the central role of the z710)

And, if this significant work were to be done, it would make sense
to move most of the implementation done in z710 into cdma (since,
presently, it seems that all motorola phones use z710 as a base class).

In summary, I believe that two things need to be done:

1) Common behavior of Motorola phones implemented in V710 should be
pushed up into moto_cdma

2) Bounds should be implemented in a way that can be easily changed at
runtime. In addition, there should be an option to detect them at runtime.

However, since this project is somewhat large and holds the potential to cause
regressions, I was hoping I could get some feedback before I dive headlong
into this.

Sincerely,
Antonio