[BitPim-devel] e815 contacts problem
Joseph Dunn
2006-09-06 18:17:15 UTC
I've been trying to sync the contacts on my e815m with bitpim (on
linux), but have had no luck. I did find a note online that only the
file browsing would work, and that matches with my experience, with a
couple exceptions. First of all, I only checked the box to sync the
contacts, yet bitpim tries to read the picture directory. For some
reason listing that directory fails and stops the entire 'get phone
data' process. If I didn't ask bitpim to get the pictures why is it
reading that directory? And why does failing to sync 1 thing stop the
other things? By the way, the pictures directory is not readable in
the file system browser either, although I have been able to use
openobex to read it.

To get this far I've been using a usb cable, however, I'd much prefer
to sync my contacts over bluetooth. This phone cannot be put into BREW
mode over bluetooth, but that shouldn't be necessary to get the contact
information. In fact, when I wrote a C app to read the data from my
old phone years ago I just used the phonebook mode and the MPBR
command, but I don't see any MPBR requests in the protocol log when
bitpim has the e815m in phonebook mode.

How does bitpim retrieve the phonebook, and can I do it with this phone
over bluetooth with bitpim? I've written a small test application in
python that successfully fetches the phonebook from my phone over
bluetooth using MPBR, but would much rather use the nice interface of
bitpim.

-Joseph Dunn