[Bitpim-devel] Please test BitFling
Roger Binns
2004-04-21 22:27:27 UTC
I would appreciate it if you could test BitFling. Note that you
need the pyCrypto package installed. More details are about half
way down http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/developer.html

To run it, just do "python bp.py bitfling"

On Windows you will see a purple paw print in your system tray.
On Linux and Mac you will see one in the middle of the screen
which you can drag to move.

Click on it and you should be in the main window. You
need to add an authorized user. I would recommend running
BitPim and BitFling on the same machine initially. Click
to add a user.

You can use any string as the username, but I would recommend
using an email address. The expires field is currently ignored.
You need to add allowed addresses. Initially you can make this
localhost, or if you are behind a firewall, it can be *
or 192.168.1.* or something like that. You can add as many
addresses as you want.

Then in BitPim, you should see bitfling in the main settings
dialog. Go into the settings bit for bitfling, and enter the
username and password. You will want localhost as the host.

Click on test. You should get a dialog box saying Success
and giving a version number. You can close the settings
sub dialog, and tick the checkbox to enable bitfling.

Then click on the com port browser. Below the Inoperable
Ports you should see BitFling available ports and BitFling
other ports. If BitFling and BitPim are running on the same
machine then the lists should be the same. If on different
machines, you should see the right thing.

Select a BitFling port and try it out. Then try BitPim and
BitFling being on different machines.

There are several pieces of work if anyone is interested.
I am probably going to remove the expires stuff and just
have an 'enabled' checkbox. The bottom half of the BitFling
config is intended to have a list of all your devices and
let you choose which ones you are allowing remote access
to.