[Bitpim-devel] Summary of AudioVox CDM8900 commands
Roger Binns
2004-05-04 02:12:15 UTC
The phonebook commands for this phone are real simple. The command
is one byte, typically followed by a one or two byte slot/entry
number and relevant data. Unfortunately they didn't design it
with any thought towards synchronization.

command description
0x80 write group
0x81 read group
0x82 write phonebookentry
0x83 read phonebookentry
0x84 write slots
0x85 read slots

(See a pattern :-) The Curitel PC-Sync program also sends
some other commands that don't seem to be useful, but may work
on their phones. I think it may be to do with the calendar.
The packet begins with the following 3 bytes:

0x26 0xf7 0x03

The Sanyo also has commands starting with 0x26 so maybe they
are common to all the phones. This is why I want the hexeditor
completed so I can hook it in to compose arbitrary commands.

The PC-Sync program also reads the SMS messages by reading
the sms_0000, sms_0001 etc files directly off the filesystem.
The same files are on the LG phones and I did figure out
most of their format, but don't know if the contents are the
same between phones. I suspect it may be because it should
be Qualcomm code running in both cases.

If anyone has access to a program that plays with the
calendar on the CDM8900, then please let me know.

The CDM8900 also has some quirks that annoy the heck out of
me.

- It won't let you enter events in the past in the
calendar, so you can't use it to record stuff that
has happened. There are also no repeats etc. The
calendar is very basic.

- The voice dials don't hook into the phonebook entries.
You enter numbers for the seperately. Consequently if
you have a voicedial for someone and their number changes,
in addition to changing their phonebook entry, you also
have to change the voice dial entry.

- The phonebook has a total of 7 groups of which one is
reserved for the 'All' group. It also only lets you
rename/edit 3 of the remaing groups. Why?

Other than that, the UI is largely the same as the LG
phones. I would rank the CDM8900 a little lower than
the LG phones because of stupidity like the above and
lack of design to making syncing easier. But both
companies definitely need to send their user interaction
designers on training courses.