[BitPim-devel] Introduction
Jerome Kaidor
2009-11-25 19:14:01 UTC
Hello,

My name is Jerry Kaidor. I've been using bitpim for a few years now.
Now I have a sudden interest in developing....

I just replaced my aged Sanyo MM-8300 with a sparkling new SCP-3810. No
bitpim support. In fact, there is no USB driver provided. A cursory google
search did not unearth one. Neither did the Sprint website.

I'm willing to do some work to get support for my phone. I'm a
tolerably good programmer - I don't know Python, but have 25 years of
professional software development experience, mostly low-level C. Lately,
I've written about twenty thousand lines of Perl. And I know just enough
about USB to be dangerous :).

The data cable that I bought at the Sprint store won't even charge the
phone on my winxp box without a driver to turn on the 5V. Plugging it into
my Linux server gets me

"usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2"
"usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice"
...and the phone is charging...

So - what's the usual procedure for bringing up a new phone? My first
guess would be to:

* Find the Linux source for a driver for a similar phone.
* Dig into the Linux usb stuff ( /proc/bus/usb? ) to get the product ID and manufacturer ID
for my phone. Or maybe find some sort of usb analyzer.

* Hack the usb driver to try it out for my phone. I suspect that most
phones use one of those usb->Serial converter chips ( CP2102 etc ).
And it will look like a modem ( CDC-class USB device ).

Or maybe to start, just get bitpim for Linux, compile it, run it, and see what
happens :).

- Jerry Kaidor
h***@hotmail.com
2009-11-26 19:05:40 UTC