[Bitpim-devel] New comscan available (and why you should care :-)
Roger Binns
2003-08-21 01:01:00 UTC
There is a new comscan available:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bitpim/comscan-20August2003-setup.exe?download

This version has a gui, and has two modes. One shows all available
ports, and the second shows all configured ports even those that are not
active (eg the cable is not plugged in).

I believe the detection in this version is perfect. Please let me know if
it gets anything wrong.

Version 0.6 of bitpim is going to have the option (and it will in fact be the
default) to auto-detect the correct com port. It will be using the comscan
code to find it.

Currently I believe I can identify the phone by looking for the following
in the hardware instance as shown by comscan:

USB to serial cable: VID_067B&PID_2303
Straight USB: VID_1004&PID_6000 (Win2K/XP)
LGATCR (Win9x)

I am also going to be adding in an option (defaulting to off) in bitpim that
will do retries when you have those timeout failures (it resends the last
command). It appears to work for me, and should be harmless but I won't
default it to on until after it has had more testing by brave people.
Look for a new 0.6 test release after the weekend if you are interesting
in testing and/or checking out the new features.

For users of non-VX4400 phones, please confirm the hardware stuff above.
I believe all your cables will show up as the top one (USB to serial)
but if they don't let me know how they show up.

And finally I would like to thank our friends at IBM who make such
bad quality hard drives that they managed to delay these releases.
(Of the 6 IBM hard drives I have, 4 have failed) including two the
other day.