[BitPim-devel] I've narrowed down the cause of an exception in BitPim 1.0.6 and 1.0.7.20081215
MBR
2009-02-23 17:26:53 UTC
About three weeks ago I encountered an exception when trying to fetch
the phonebook from an LG VX-5400 using BitPim 1.0.6. So I installed
BitPim 1.0.7.20081215 on top of the previous version but it didn't
help. It produced the very same exception.

Since I'm not set up to debug BitPim at the moment, and I haven't yet
learned Python, I figured the best approach would be to email the stack
traces to the developers. So I sent them to
bitpim-***@lists.sourceforge.net. But other than my posting, that
list has been dormant all this month.

I just did some tests to narrow down the cause of the exception. I
determined that it was happening when uploading the Phone Book from the
cellphone to BitPim. So I browsed through the phonebook on the
cellphone looking for any entry that seemed out of the ordinary. I
found one entry that had a phone number but no name. I modified that
entry so it had a name, and the problem went away.

Attached are stack traces from the crash.

I'm emailing this to bitpim-***@lists.sourceforge.net in addition to
bitpim-***@lists.sourceforge.net. If someone on
bitpim-***@lists.sourceforge.net knows any of the BitPim developers,
maybe you can bring this to their attention.

The following information is probably not relevant, but just in case,
the OS is Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2, and the serial connection is
via Bluetooth.

Mark Rosenthal
***@arlsoft.com <mailto:***@arlsoft.com>