[Bitpim-devel] Warranties ...
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 19:28:29 UTC
If anyone is a lawyer on this list, it would be interesting to know about
this (quoted from a /. poster on inks and inkjet printers):

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) states:

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied
warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such
product, any article or service (other than article or service provided
without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by
brand, trade or corporate name ... ."

Simply put, the warrantor can not void a warranty because of the use of an
aftermarket part. Furthermore the warrantor must show that an aftermarket
part caused the damage in question that they wish to void the warranty over.
While this act was passed to protect automotive aftermarket part
manufacturers I'm guessing it could be applied to this situation. Maybe
someone with Westlaw access could check.

I wonder if this also applies to using BitPim with a phone?