[BitPim-devel] [BitPim-user] Re: Sprint Samsung SPH-M520
Vallevand, Mark K
2008-06-02 14:04:30 UTC
I'm not sure if anyone else is trying to make it work, but I'm giving it
a go.

So far not much joy. A little, but not much.

Bitpim works by talking to the modem in the phone and having it do all
the work. The m520 has a modem. You can talk to it and some of the
vary basic commands are recognized. I've made some changes so bitpim
recognizes the phone, and not much more. But, no commands used to do
the important stuff are working. No phone book access, etc. Foo. I'm
trying out lot of different commands and not making much progress. I'm
trying an experiment to send every possible command to the modem and see
which respond. Others have tried similar tactics with other phones.
But, the little bugger is fussy as anything. The modem locks up after a
while and just stares at you. You need to turn the phone off and on.

It doesn't help that I'm not a python programmer. I'm a pretty good
programmer and a language is a language. But, there still is a learning
curve. And, there are lots of other projects that need attention, too.

I'm not sure if my changes for the m520 will ever make it into the
bitpim trunk. I'm not even sure I made them in the right way.

I'm also having list troubles at home (I blame MSN or Qwest) and am
answering from work.

Regards.
Mark K Vallevand

2008-06-03 13:58:17 UTC
I looked at this a little more last night. It turns out that the m520
responds to a couple of commands differently than other Samsung phones.
So, I need to add m520-specific detection to the new
com_samsungsphm520.py code. If I can get the new code cleaned up, maybe
it'll be ready to check-in next week. It won't do much other than
detect the phone.

Is it legal for me to check-in directly, or should I make diffs and post
them to the list?

Regards.
Mark K Vallevand

We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
Strong beer is the milk of the old.
- Martin Luther

and its attachments from all computers.