[BitPim-devel] filesystem restore patch
Jerad Clark
2006-08-07 19:55:30 UTC
2006-08-08 21:58:23 UTC
Thanks for the contribution. I'll include them in the after-next
release.

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com
Roger Binns
2006-08-14 05:58:25 UTC
Jerad Clark wrote:
> So, I removed the "All Files" option and have included the appropriate
> patch.
>
> - ext="Zip files|*.zip|All Files|*"
> + ext="Zip files|*.zip"

I don't understand the point of this, The dialog will select only files
with a .zip extension and will only show all files if you explicitly
select that. There is no reason that a zip file must have an extension
of .zip. In fact since many email systems reject attachments with a zip
extension as a pathetic form of virus protection, you frequently have to
rename them to have a different extension.

On Linux and Windows, it is the UI norm to do file choosers this way.
For example open any program that deals with files and notice how they
default to their formats but do let you select all files. Mac does the
same thing, but the UI to select all files isn't as easily discoverable.

Roger
Jerad Clark
2006-08-14 14:08:53 UTC
The point of this suggestion is that this dialog requires a very
specific file. One created by BitPim. So, why allow "all files", when
the application is going to reject any non-zip files anyway?

And if someone did change the extension in order to email it, then
certainly they shouldn't be upset by having to rename the file back to
what the application expects.

However, if it is a standard UI practice to allow "All Files" in
dialogs such as this, then you merely need to change the "Add Images"
dialog to have this option as well, as it is the one I checked against
when making/suggesting this change.

Jerad

2006-08-15 03:45:37 UTC
Jerad Clark wrote:
> The point of this suggestion is that this dialog requires a very
> specific file. One created by BitPim.

Since when does the file have to be created by BitPim. *ANY* file in
the zip format should work.

> So, why allow "all files", when
> the application is going to reject any non-zip files anyway?

The file selection box only filters on extension. It does not look
inside the file to check it matches the format as well.

> And if someone did change the extension in order to email it, then
> certainly they shouldn't be upset by having to rename the file back to
> what the application expects.

The dialog defaults to showing files with an extension of zip. The user
has to manually select All Files to see other files.

> However, if it is a standard UI practice to allow "All Files" in
> dialogs such as this, then you merely need to change the "Add Images"
> dialog to have this option as well, as it is the one I checked against
> when making/suggesting this change.

Will do.

Roger
Tomáš Bezouška
Hi, could anyone tell me in which file is reading brew file saved? Or rather decoding received packet - the place where BitPim changes 7D5E and 7D5D. I was trying to write it myself, but I wasnt successful - for example, how do I find out which 7D5D is part of the original file and which needs to be changed into 7D? Thx for a help
Tomáš Bezouška
Stephen Wood
2006-10-19 01:32:39 UTC
The code that does the escaping and unescaping of 0x7d and 0x7e is in
common.py. See the routines "pppescape" and "pppunescape".

Stephen

One of the "Steves" of Project Steve at http://www.ncseweb.org/.