unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
The "brew protocol" does files in the embedded filesystem only. The LG
phonebook
protocol is at a higher level and operates on phonebook records.
Oops. Forgot that the mode transitioned to phonebook mode and was out of
brew mode. Let me read some more and see if I can find out more about how
to do protocol analysis at a lower level than I've been doing so far.
I always avoid modifying the files directly instead of using the sync
protocol.
That means that you don't get caught out by other data dependencies - for
example
the call history may link into the phonebook and if you directly update
the
phonebook file, you could make the phone crash due to broken linkage.
One possibility is to update everything you can using the phonebook
protocol and
then patching the file to update the wallpaper info. That is far less
risky.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. In this case it appears I have to
hack at the main contact file which has 90% of the information. Kind of "in
for a penny, in for a pound" kind of problem - the contact format could
easily be changed by a firmware update to add one byte here or there, so any
updating I do could be deadly to a new firmware. However, by using the
phone book protocol for 90% of the data I could at least allow the user to
disable the "extra" capabilities and still keep basic phone book management.
I'll keep looking for extended protocol values. There are a couple of other
links I'm missing - the voicedial setting is lost when I replace a phone
book entry in addition to the wall paper setting.

Thanks for your comments.

- Ed