[Bitpim-devel] Recover a crashed CDM8900?
Roger Binns
2004-05-06 01:53:04 UTC
Does anyone know how to recover a crashed Audiovox CDM8900?
I have it stuck on the very first Verizon Wireless screen
with balloons on the outside LCD. Backlight is on and
nothing is moving. I was hoping that maybe there
is a three finger salute kind of thing that could be done
when powering it on.

The underlying cause is that each group has stored with
it the number of members of that group. The Curitel app
when sending the data back just sets them zero. I assumed
the phone would be smart enough to figure out the numbers
itself after a reboot or something. Well, it isn't, it
just shows all groups as having zero members.

That is ok - I intended to update the code to update
the number of members. However I was just looking at
an entry on the phone and changed its group. The
phone locked up at that point, and has to be power cycled
by removing the battery. It hangs on bootup now.

The underlying cause would seem to be extremely bad
coding on the phone whereby they decremented the count
for the group the entry was in, got a number less than
zero and somehow destroyed the data enough that the
phone can't recover. To write code that bad staggers
the imagination.