[BitPim-devel] Real (literal) serial cable works, but com1 isn't a "likely" port
tz
2005-11-07 19:39:31 UTC
I got the LG OEM RS232 cable

Man. Part #: SGDY0008401

http://www.cellgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12242

This is listed for the VX8100, but also comes up for all of the new LG phones I checked.

I had a similar one for my old LG 5350 - the connectors differ. The box in the middle is a level shifter (powered by the phone), and the has a power/charging pass-thru, so I can recharge the phone while using it.

It works fine when connecting to the PC or any serial port which looks like a normal PC. This cable might be a good addition to the list on the various pages.

(Warning - a male-male null modem adapter managed to fry the box on the old cable - even when not attached to a computer - I'm not going to try with this, but don't use adapters that short pins - reversing three pairs worked on my Zaurus)

I was unable to do a "detect phone" on COM1 on my laptop for any of my phones, but I just tried grabbing my wallpaper on my VX3300 (as VX3200 - can we get this recognized?), my VX4650, and my VX8100. All worked and downloaded files to BitPim (once I set the phone's PC Connection to 115200 baud, RS-232). I think this is because COM1 is not USB, so the detect routine gets -1 for this port.

I'm still setting up - if the string "COM1" is entered manually into the setting, it should be considered a viable port, and even if not USB, it should be a less likely port, but not -1. If I can get setup I will try to submit a patch to fix this.

I don't notice that it is much slower, but I'm still experimenting.

Since it uses a vanilla RS232 com port, it should bypass most if not all of the hardware USB cable and driver annoyances.