[Bitpim-devel] Findings on ringtone support for TM520
Chris Poon
2004-02-19 18:04:35 UTC
So it looks like it's just a hack in the firmware to get downloadable ringtone
on the TM520
- no index file keeping track of ringtones
- only the first 5 ringtones in the filesystem can be used (suspect it to be
sorted alphabetically to count)
- index file for referencing the actual ringtone path for all phonebook entries
(pim/midiringer.dat)
- index file for the default ringtone path (pim/ringtitle.dat)

This is a totally different model than the VX4400, granted the TM520 is an
older phone and originally didn't have downloadable ringtone support.
Hopefully the VX1/VX10 isn't too far from it, but we would definitely need
some VX1/VX10 users browse around the filesystem to see if there is any
difference, and test out the code that I'm going to write. Unfortunately
none of the phones I had in my hands had the right firmware, although my
co-worker here does. Trying to make the ringtone support close to the VX4400
is going to be a difficult task, but I will try to merge as much of it as
I can so we will have more common code. Granted there is no index, and only
a limit of 5 ringtones allowed, I don't think it's worthwhile to support the
ringtone merge - it will strictly be overwritten.

I need to find more time for writing this...