[BitPim-devel] Battery Charging Via USB
Lukas Sabota
2005-07-01 23:03:32 UTC
Hello,
It would be a very nice feature if while the phone was plugged in, the
battery could be charged from the PCs power supply. Would this be an
issue dealt through the phone kernel module? Or would this happen
directly through bitpim?

Lukas
Chris Beuschel
2005-07-02 00:36:00 UTC
Post by Lukas Sabota
Hello,
It would be a very nice feature if while the phone was plugged in, the
battery could be charged from the PCs power supply. Would this be an
issue dealt through the phone kernel module? Or would this happen directly
through bitpim?
Lukas
I use BitPim v0.7.33 with a generic USB-to-serial cable and my Sanyo PM-8200
and it charges whenever I plug the phone in. What are your specs?

Chris
Lukas Sabota
2005-07-02 01:17:14 UTC
Post by Chris Beuschel
Post by Lukas Sabota
Hello,
It would be a very nice feature if while the phone was plugged in,
the battery could be charged from the PCs power supply. Would this
be an issue dealt through the phone kernel module? Or would this
happen directly through bitpim?
Lukas
I use BitPim v0.7.33 with a generic USB-to-serial cable and my Sanyo
PM-8200 and it charges whenever I plug the phone in. What are your specs?
Chris
I'm using a USB Cable for my LG VX-7000. It transfers data fine, but it
will not charge. I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Kernel 2.6.10)

Lukas
The Doctor
2005-07-02 01:20:50 UTC
I'm no expert about htis but I believe its a function of the cable
wiring not any software. My VGA1000 recharges whether or not BitPim
is active. I recall, when I purchased the cable, that there were both
varieties available. I'm hard pressed to understand why someone would
choose the kind that expressly said it did not charge.
Jim Smith
Lukas
David Sampson
2005-07-02 02:11:26 UTC
The only reason of which I can think, is (like me :( ), they were not aware
of one being available.. or that it was an issue. I know it is an issue now
though!!!

speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idt77&alloc_id492&op=ick
Lukas Sabota
2005-07-02 02:21:45 UTC
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
David Sampson wrote:
cite="***@directlink.net"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">The only reason of which I can think, is (like me :( ), they were not aware
of one being available.. or that it was an issue. I know it is an issue now
though!!!

I'm no expert about htis but I believe its a function of the cable
wiring not any software. My VGA1000 recharges whether or not BitPim
is active. I recall, when I purchased the cable, that there were both
varieties available. I'm hard pressed to understand why someone would
choose the kind that expressly said it did not charge.

On 7/1/05, Chris Beuschel <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">&lt;***@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Hello,
It would be a very nice feature if while the phone was plugged in, the
battery could be charged from the PCs power supply. Would this be an
issue dealt through the phone kernel module? Or would this happen
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->directly
</pre>
<pre wrap="">through bitpim?

Lukas
</pre>
<pre wrap="">I use BitPim v0.7.33 with a generic USB-to-serial cable and my Sanyo
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->PM-8200
</pre>
<pre wrap="">and it charges whenever I plug the phone in. What are your specs?

Chris

</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->

</pre>
Oh, alright.&nbsp; It must have been my cable.&nbsp; I just got what the
radioshack guy gave me.&nbsp; Got quite ripped off I suppose; it was $40.&nbsp;
Oh well!<br>
God Bless,<br>
Luke<br>
Roger Binns
2005-07-02 04:52:33 UTC
Post by Lukas Sabota
It would be a very nice feature if while the phone was plugged in, the
battery could be charged from the PCs power supply. Would this be an
issue dealt through the phone kernel module? Or would this happen
directly through bitpim?
This is not under the control of software. The USB specification includes
the requirement to supply up to 500mA at 5V to the cable. Various cable
manufacturers then include additional circuitry to supply that at the
appropriate voltage to the relevant pins on the phone connector.