[Bitpim-devel] RL2500 & RL7300
John Camin
2004-03-28 07:12:43 UTC
Hi all, I'm new to the list as of today and just wanted to say hi to
everyone. I picked up two new phones this week that I'd like to help add to
your program. I've got both the RL2500 (SCP-5400) and the RL7300
(SCP-7300). I managed to get the hexdump's from the filesystem on both
phones, but not surprisingly nothing else works. What can I do to help?
Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to have time to learn python for a few
weeks (months?), but I can certainly get any info you need from these two
phones. Just let me know.

I'm pretty impressed with what you guys have accomplished... looks great.
:)

-John

Stephen Wood
2004-03-28 18:27:17 UTC
Post by John Camin
I picked up two new phones this week that I'd like to help add to
your program. I've got both the RL2500 (SCP-5400) and the RL7300
(SCP-7300).
There are a few areas where help would be much appreciated.
1. RL7300 support has just been added to BitPim and will appear in the
next text release (0.7test7) which should be released very soon. The
7300 support was done based on newsgroup reports that the SCP-5500
BitPim code works on the 7300. Since I don't have a 7300 myself, I
would appreciate it if someone could thoroughly test it. Some things to
check for are, a) do ringer assignments come out with the correct names
when the phonebook is read, and b) do calendar read/writes work.

2. I have no information on the SCP-5400 protocol. If you could try
reading the phone book using both the SCP-8100 and SCP-5500 settings in
BitPim, and report reults, that would help.

3. I will be starting media transfer support for Sanyo phones soon. I
have a 5500, so code developed for that should be close to what is
needed for the 7300. However, there will be differences, as the 7300
does not have a camera. If you can get the CVS version of BitPim
working, then you could help by running test code learn the differences
between the protocols of the two phones.

Stephen
John Camin
2004-03-29 06:48:31 UTC
Post by John Camin
There are a few areas where help would be much appreciated.
1. RL7300 support has just been added to BitPim and will appear in the
next text release (0.7test7) which should be released very soon. The
7300 support was done based on newsgroup reports that the SCP-5500
BitPim code works on the 7300. Since I don't have a 7300 myself, I
would appreciate it if someone could thoroughly test it. Some things to
check for are, a) do ringer assignments come out with the correct names
when the phonebook is read, and b) do calendar read/writes work.
Great, will do as soon as its posted.
Post by John Camin
2. I have no information on the SCP-5400 protocol. If you could try
reading the phone book using both the SCP-8100 and SCP-5500 settings in
BitPim, and report reults, that would help.
The phone book worked just peachy using the SCP-5500 settings. Read/Edited
and Wrote back to the phone all fine. Calendar choked with the following
error. If this is unexpected, I'll post the entire error. It's repeatable,
anytime anything is attempted to be uploaded.

Frame _complainaboutunusedargs in prototypes.pyo at line 119
self = <p_sanyo5500.sanyoheader object at 0x018E48B0>
dict = {'readwrite': 14}
klass = <class 'p_sanyo5500.sanyoheader'>
Post by John Camin
3. I will be starting media transfer support for Sanyo phones soon. I
have a 5500, so code developed for that should be close to what is
needed for the 7300. However, there will be differences, as the 7300
does not have a camera. If you can get the CVS version of BitPim
working, then you could help by running test code learn the differences
between the protocols of the two phones.
Stephen
Great again, will be happy to test the media stuff as soon as its ready...
or even if its not ready. :)
I'll try to get the CVS going, but I've got a few other programs to write
first... :( A newb question, though, and I appologize if I missed this
somewhere, but can you download the entire project as one file from CVS? I
can get the individual parts, but thats it via the web. (prolly a dumb
question, I havent used CVS before)

just fyi, 5400 is sans camera as well. 5400, 7200 and 7300 all have the new
readylink stuff... which as far as i can tell is about useless with free
sprint-sprint calls, but oh well.

Stephen Wood
2004-03-29 13:32:10 UTC
Post by John Camin
Post by Stephen Wood
2. I have no information on the SCP-5400 protocol. If you could try
reading the phone book using both the SCP-8100 and SCP-5500 settings in
BitPim, and report reults, that would help.
The phone book worked just peachy using the SCP-5500 settings. Read/Edited
and Wrote back to the phone all fine. Calendar choked with the following
error. If this is unexpected, I'll post the entire error. It's repeatable,
anytime anything is attempted to be uploaded.
Frame _complainaboutunusedargs in prototypes.pyo at line 119
self = <p_sanyo5500.sanyoheader object at 0x018E48B0>
dict = {'readwrite': 14}
klass = <class 'p_sanyo5500.sanyoheader'>
Calendar writing was broken for the 5500 in 0.7test6. Looks like it
will probably work for the 5400 in the next test7 release.

Is the list of ringers on the 5400 identical to the 7300? If not could
you make a list of the built in ringers on the 5400.

Do you see any differences in the 7300 and 5400, other than shape of the
phone?

Do you actually use the Readylink on your phones? I am curious if any
of the readylink phonebook is kept on the phone, and thus readable by
BitPim.

Thanks, Stephen
John Camin
2004-03-30 06:00:55 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
Calendar writing was broken for the 5500 in 0.7test6. Looks like it
will probably work for the 5400 in the next test7 release.
Cool, I'll check it out and let you know for both phones...
Post by Stephen Wood
Is the list of ringers on the 5400 identical to the 7300? If not could
you make a list of the built in ringers on the 5400.
The list is the same, but tones 1-8 sound different. Media (annimations),
are all different too for what its worth.
Post by Stephen Wood
Do you see any differences in the 7300 and 5400, other than shape of the
phone?
Minor updates in the software with the 7300, but for the most part no.
Manuals look more or less the same, same stats on phonebook numbers 300/500.
According to the web, the 7300 has more storage space for downloads (832k
vs 640k, but I havent verified it). They really look like the exact same
phone except that the 7300 is touting the 'impact resistant' outer
covering... yet to be tested.
Post by Stephen Wood
Do you actually use the Readylink on your phones? I am curious if any
of the readylink phonebook is kept on the phone, and thus readable by
BitPim.
Thanks, Stephen
I'm not currently using it, it costs $20 a month for the two phones. I'll
keep my eye out for specials where I can demo it for a bit, though.
According to the web it looks like:

Company: 200 Entries (200 Max Groups with 5 per Group)
Personal: 200 Entries (33 Max Groups with 5 per Group)

If you want to send me a backup of your 5500's tree I'll compare it to mine
and see if anything's obvious, or I could send you a copy of mine.

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time offer)