[Bitpim-devel] wxPython 2.5.3.1 and next build
Vic Heintz
2004-11-16 15:04:12 UTC
I uninstalled wxPython 2.5.3.1 and reinstalled version 2.5.2.8 on my
Mac OS Jaguar system and all of the NEW gui issues went away. (There
are still many gui glitches in Jaguar but I won't bore you with that
any more.)

I don't know when the next release is planned but if there is to be a
Jaguar build this time I would strongly suggest that wxPython 2.5.3.1
NOT be used.

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-17 05:06:15 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
I don't know when the next release is planned but if there is to be a
Jaguar build this time I would strongly suggest that wxPython 2.5.3.1
NOT be used.
Ultimately we won't hold up progress, so the change will happen at
some point. I generally prefer to be pretty aggresive usually
because new versions of the underlying libraries have bug fixes,
new features, better documentation and are faster. Of course for all
the steps forward, they sometimes include some steps back.

I am very keen to have the Mac on Unicode so we can be consistent
across all platforms. Have you been able to work with any other
Jaguar users to figure out if the issues are generic or specific
to your machine?

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-11-17 13:48:23 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
I don't know when the next release is planned but if there is to be a
Jaguar build this time I would strongly suggest that wxPython 2.5.3.1
NOT be used.
I am very keen to have the Mac on Unicode so we can be consistent
across all platforms. Have you been able to work with any other
Jaguar users to figure out if the issues are generic or specific
to your machine?
Here is one of the errors I experienced with 2.5.3.1 on my Mac (running
Panther, not Jaguar (10.3.6).

With both the Unicode and ANSI versions of 2.5.3 for Mac OS X 10.3, I
received an exception when creating a new calendar entry. I think the root
of the problem is below:

_validateDate
if valid: dbg('valid date')
NameError: global name 'dbg' is not defined

I've attached the text from the log. I've confirmed this error does not
occur with the older wxPython 2.5.2.8 library.

John
Vic Heintz
2004-11-17 15:28:51 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Post by Roger Binns
Post by Vic Heintz
[...]
As I previously reported, I get this same error in Jaguar. And as also
previously reported I get this error:
10:01:11: can't seek on file descriptor 12, large files support is not
enabled. (error 0: Undefined error: 0)
when dealing with thumbnails of large camera pix assigned to phonebook
entries. Neither error occurs when I revert to wxPython 2.5.2.8.

Is your phone a camera phone that lets you assign photos to phonebook
entries? If so, could you see if you get the same error in Panther? (Or
like me have you now uninstalled 2.5.3.1?)

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-17 16:35:59 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
_validateDate
if valid: dbg('valid date')
NameError: global name 'dbg' is not defined
I still haven't had a chance to look into this, but it isn't a big
deal.
Post by Vic Heintz
As I previously reported, I get this same error in Jaguar. And as also
10:01:11: can't seek on file descriptor 12, large files support is not
enabled. (error 0: Undefined error: 0)
when dealing with thumbnails of large camera pix assigned to phonebook
entries. Neither error occurs when I revert to wxPython 2.5.2.8.
Have you worked out where that error comes from?

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-11-17 18:18:18 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
As I previously reported, I get this same error in Jaguar. And as
10:01:11: can't seek on file descriptor 12, large files support is
not enabled. (error 0: Undefined error: 0)
when dealing with thumbnails of large camera pix assigned to
phonebook entries. Neither error occurs when I revert to wxPython
2.5.2.8.
Have you worked out where that error comes from?
There is no exception so no trace. I have submitted the text of the
message to wxPython group for help.

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-18 03:44:24 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
There is no exception so no trace. I have submitted the text of the
message to wxPython group for help.
You should be able to use lsof/strace to see what is happening. My
guess is that the image file is invalid in some way and one of the
image decoders in wxPython is trying to read way beyond the end.

I discovered the other night while working on debuging some other
issue that the images displayed in the wallpaper tab are offered
to each builtin wxWidgets decoder in turn until one of them
says they like it. (This is despite me setting mime type etc
when handing the image over).

It also looks like there will be another wxPython 2.5.3 release
candidate build this weekend (or sooner) so you may want to see
if fixes are in that for the other issues you were experiencing.

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2004-11-18 03:51:21 UTC
Are we planning a build this weekend?
Post by Vic Heintz
There is no exception so no trace. I have submitted the text of the
message to wxPython group for help.
You should be able to use lsof/strace to see what is happening. My
guess is that the image file is invalid in some way and one of the
image decoders in wxPython is trying to read way beyond the end.

I discovered the other night while working on debuging some other
issue that the images displayed in the wallpaper tab are offered
to each builtin wxWidgets decoder in turn until one of them
says they like it. (This is despite me setting mime type etc
when handing the image over).

It also looks like there will be another wxPython 2.5.3 release
candidate build this weekend (or sooner) so you may want to see
if fixes are in that for the other issues you were experiencing.

NetZero Platinum $9.95.
NetZero HiSpeed $14.95.
Sign up Today at http://www.netzero.net or
Visit Sam Goody, Suncoast or MediaPlay Stores.
Roger Binns
2004-11-18 04:23:11 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Are we planning a build this weekend?
Yes. It will remain with wxPython 2.5.2.8.

Roger
Vic Heintz
2004-11-18 16:24:35 UTC
I just tried a Windows version of BitPim and noticed that the wallpaper
thumbnails and the ringer icons were laid out in rows as one might
expect. I have often wondered why on my Mac they were laid out in
single vertical columns. Is this an easy fix or is this another one of
those wxPython issues?

Vic
Roger Binns
2004-11-18 17:03:20 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
expect. I have often wondered why on my Mac they were laid out in
single vertical columns. Is this an easy fix or is this another one of
those wxPython issues?
It is mostly wxPython. However is should wrap into multiple columns.
Check out the screenshots at http://bitpim.org/#screenshots which
includes the Windows, Linux and Mac shots of wallpapers.

I am not happy with the current UI for wallpapers/ringtones and
intend to replace it at some point (the 3rd generation of UI!)

My current thinking is something like the attached screenshot.
The icons will be replaced with thumbnails. You'll be able to
sort/group by name, type, origin and date.

I'll have to write my own widget to do this, but that will have
the advantage that it will behave consistently on all platforms.

Roger
Vic Heintz

Vic
John O'Shaughnessy
2004-12-01 14:46:36 UTC
I like your idea in the attached screen shot.

To follow on Vic's comment, ringers and wallpaper are currently displayed in
a single vertical column on my Mac as well. It is different from the screen
shot at http://bitpim.org/#screenshots .

John
Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-12-01 19:53:49 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
To follow on Vic's comment, ringers and wallpaper are currently displayed in
a single vertical column on my Mac as well. It is different from the screen
shot at http://bitpim.org/#screenshots .
It's different for me, now, and I provided the Mac screen shots. I
don't know when it changed.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Peter Dufault
2004-12-01 20:00:32 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
To follow on Vic's comment, ringers and wallpaper are currently displayed in
a single vertical column on my Mac as well. It is different from the screen
shot at http://bitpim.org/#screenshots .
It's different for me, now, and I provided the Mac screen shots. I
don't know when it changed.
I think just after I provided those screenshots I observed that if you
enlarged the window on the left with the wallpapers too much you lost
the bar that let you get the right hand window with the details of the
selected wallpaper item back, and that the only way to get that detail
window back was to quit bitpim - maybe the fix for that broke the
wallpaper layout on the left?

Probably not -

Peter

Peter Dufault