[Bitpim-devel] Purevoice conversion on Mac
Roger Binns
2005-01-09 09:08:25 UTC
Qualcomm have Purevoice to wav (and back) convertors for Linux and Windows,
but we have been struggling for ages to find a way of doing it on Mac.

Quicktime includes both wav and Purevoice codecs on Mac (and Windows for that
matter). It looks like the qt_export tool can do the job for us. See
http://www.omino.com/~poly/software/qt_tools/qt_export.html

Roger
Steven Palm
2005-01-09 22:28:54 UTC
Quicktime includes both wav and Purevoice codecs on Mac (and Windows for that
matter). It looks like the qt_export tool can do the job for us. See
http://www.omino.com/~poly/software/qt_tools/qt_export.html
I had tried, using the QuickTimePro package to encode, but I could not
find a format that the VX6000 would be happy with. I ended up having to
run them through the old PureVoice program under MacOS 9 which isn't
feasible for integration with BitPim.

I'll have a look at qt_export and see if it gives more options than
the QuickTimePro GUI did.

Just to put me straight on it, Roger, what exact format are we looking
for? I thought it was something like mono 8khz, or am I way off? Is
it a specific rate, or are the phones adaptable?

Steve
Roger Binns
2005-01-09 23:01:06 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
Just to put me straight on it, Roger, what exact format are we looking
for? I thought it was something like mono 8khz, or am I way off? Is
it a specific rate, or are the phones adaptable?
If you use the latest code and add a QCP file from your voice memos you'll
see what the phone uses. For me it is:

QCelp 13k codec (13000 bits per second data rate)
8000 Hz sampling rate
16 bits per sample
Mono

You can find them in VoiceDB/All/Memos. Just save from the filesystem view and
then add to the ringer pane. The VX4400, VX6000 and VX7000 all had exactly
the same parameters and format.

Roger
Steven Palm
2005-01-10 04:42:38 UTC
If you use the latest code and add a QCP file from your voice memos you'll
see what the phone uses.
The data format of the voice memo file and the qt_export file is
completely different. But, in the sake of thoroughness, I did upload a
qt_export file to my phone and it displayed in the ringer list but
played nothing.

So, although I could be missing something, I don't think this will
work. :-(
Roger Binns
2005-01-10 06:24:46 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
The data format of the voice memo file and the qt_export file is
completely different. But, in the sake of thoroughness, I did upload a
qt_export file to my phone and it displayed in the ringer list but
played nothing.
So, although I could be missing something, I don't think this will
work. :-(
The most useful thing would be converting from Purevoice to something
useful like WAV.

Can you email me the Purevoice file it did create? I'll have a look at
how it is formatted.

Roger
Steven Palm
2005-01-10 14:35:07 UTC
The most useful thing would be converting from Purevoice to something
useful like WAV.
Ah, I see... I was thinking of it as a way to put other formats on the
phone.
Post by Roger Binns
Can you email me the Purevoice file it did create? I'll have a look at
how it is formatted.
I believe it's a QuickTime Movie formatted file, with the accompanying
wrapper and so forth... I've attached it here.
Roger Binns
2005-01-10 16:36:50 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
Post by Roger Binns
Can you email me the Purevoice file it did create? I'll have a look at
how it is formatted.
I believe it's a QuickTime Movie formatted file, with the accompanying
wrapper and so forth... I've attached it here.
That is indeed exactly what it is.