[BitPim-devel] LG G4015 Phone Support Added
Joe Pham
2005-10-17 02:55:37 UTC
The changes have been commmitted to CVS. Initial supports include: detection, phonebook, calendar, ringtones, and wallpapers. Additional supports may include SMS, Memo, and Call History. Excerpts from the Help file:

Phone Information
I can't seem to retrieve the ESN off the phone, so for a unique ID, I use the ID of the SIM card instead. The implication is that if a different SIM card is used with the same phone, BitPim will identify it as a different phone.

Contacts:
The maximum number of contacts the phone can hold is 255. The SIM card can hold 250 contacts.
On the phone, each contact can have up to 3 numbers (mobile, home, and office), email, and memo/note. On the SIM card, each contact holds 1 number.
When reading contacts from the SIM card, the type of the number of each contact is set to mobile. When sending contacts to the SIM card, the first number on the list is sent regardless of the type.
Ringtone and Wallpaper assignments to contacts are not applicable.
Speed Dials cannot be set from BitPim and must be set manually on the phone. The same goes for Group Ringtone assignments.
Group (category) names cannot be set/updated from BitPim and must be done manually on the phone.
Every time BitPim updates the contacts to the phone, it rewrites the whole phonebook. This process might be improved in the future (ie only update the ones that have been changed).

Calendar:
The maximum number of calendar events is 30.
Phone calendar events have no end date/time, and BitPim will set it to be the same as the start date/time.
Phone recurrent events are open-ended (forever).
When sending recurrent events to the phone, the "nth" values are discarded. For example, a daily event set to occur every 3rd day in BitPim will be sent to the phone as a every-day daily event.
BitPim alarm values will be approximated to the next lower valid phone alarm values. For example, a BitPim alarm value of 61(min) will be set to 1hr on the phone, while a value of 59(min) will be set to 30min on the phone.

Ringtones:
This phone can play SMAF (.mmf) and MIDI (.mid) files.
A maximum of 20 ringtones can be downloaded.
Ringtone upload from the phone to BitPim DOES NOT WORK! Reading ringtone data from the phone only reads the list of downloaded ringtones available on the phone, and not the ringtone contents.
Deleting ringtones on the phone "from" BitPim does not work reliably. This is a phone firmware issue. The workaround is to delete them manually from the phone.

Wallpapers:
This phone accepts JPEG, BMP, and GID images as wallpapers. BitPim uses JPEG as the default format.
The maximum of 20 images can be downloaded.
The phone full screen resolution is 128x128.
Wallpaper upload from the phone to BitPim DOES NOT WORK! Reading wallpaper data from the phone only reads the list of downloaded wallpapers available on the phone, and not the wallpaper contents.
Deleting wallpapers on the phone from BitPim does not work reliably. This is a phone firmware issue. The workaround is to delete them manually from the phone.

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-10-24 01:44:29 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I can't seem to retrieve the ESN off the phone, so for a unique
ID, I use the ID of the SIM card instead. The implication is that
if a different SIM card is used with the same phone, BitPim will
identify it as a different phone.
(BTW the GSM equivalent of an ESN is IMEI).

You may want to reconsider your choice above. SIM cards have a
standardised storage format which is quite limited. GSM phones
usually have menu entries that let you transfer information
from the builtin storage to and from the SIM card.

Most phone sync software I have seen prompts you with a dialog
when you send and receive asking if you want to use the main
phone memory or the SIM card.

I'd suggest just ignoring the SIM card completely and only
dealing with builtin memory, ideally hooking off the IMEI
and not the SIM card id. (Imagine the people who use prepaid
SIM cards that they replace every month or whatever having
to deal with BitPim thinking it is a completely different
phone! Same story with people who travel and use different
SIM cards based on the country they are in.)

2005-10-24 06:26:24 UTC
(BTW the GSM equivalent of an ESN is IMEI).
I tried that, and my G4015 unit returned some generic text and not the IMEI. It could be because the phone does not have any services, but I was able to get the SIM ID number, so I'm using that temporarily until I can figure out how to retrieve the IMEI.
Post by Roger Binns
GSM phones usually have menu entries that let you transfer
information from the builtin storage to and from the SIM card.
That's also true with the G4015.
Post by Roger Binns
Most phone sync software I have seen prompts you with a dialog when
you send and receive asking if you want to use the main phone memory
or the SIM card.
Currenlty, BitPim would retrieve contacts info from both the phone memory & the SIM card. A new field, and corresponding GUI, has been added allowing users to specify whether a contact should be stored on the phone or the SIM card.