[Bitpim-devel] Jar/Jad files
Jeff Elkins
2004-06-05 14:06:01 UTC
Via hacking about I've been able to extract java .jar and .jad files from my
Sanyo 8100. I noticed with adding print statements yesterday that the files
were being found, so I added the extentions to ringerexts in
com_sanyomedia.py and when I select get ringers, they are extracted from the
phone into the ringer directory. I've verified they work by reloading the
captured files to my phone via my wap server.

I'm wondering if this would be a worthwile addition for bitpim?

TIA

Jeff Elkins
Roger Binns
2004-06-05 23:42:18 UTC
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.bitpim.user/539

Roger
Jeff Elkins
2004-06-06 02:28:47 UTC
Well, I never had piracy in mind. Backup of content I legally own was my only
thought.

Thanks for the reply.
Roger Binns
2004-06-06 06:51:07 UTC
Post by Jeff Elkins
Well, I never had piracy in mind. Backup of content I legally own was my only
thought.
Have you ever read the license of that stuff recently? You sure don't own it -
you merely have the right to use it.

Personally I think that is a crock and encourage people to rebel with
their wallets (ie legally).

On the Verizon/BREW/Get-It-Now phones, there is an integrated system
whereby the phone keeps track of your entitlement to run an app.
You can delete the app and later re-install it all fine. Consequently
there is no good reason for BitPim to help in "backing up" those apps.

I don't have a J2ME based phone so I don't know how things work there.
Anyway we all agree on the intent. It is up to Stephen's discretion
on those specific phones since he knows more of the details.