[BitPim-devel] autodetect on bluetooth
Simon C
2005-08-28 01:08:32 UTC
I've added some bluetooth autodetect for windows.
For phones that support bluetooth the bluetooth com ports will get added ot
the "likely_ports" passed to detect_phone.

I tested this with XP SP2 using the microsoft drivers, the drivers that came
with the BT adapter do not work with auto-detect, but it is possible that
some of the other propietry driver will work. Worse case it will not be able
to detect the phone and the user will have to manually configure it. It will
not work for other O/S, I deliberately coded it this way as I have no way to
test other O/Ss.

It works by knowing the manufacturer's ID of the phone and matching this
with the properties of the BT com port, this means that not just any
bluetooth device will get passed to detect_phone. I found that some
bluetooth com ports cause bitpim to hang when switching to brew mode, so you
cant just try all the BT ports found. Adding the BT manufacturer's ID to the
phones Profile enables autodetect for the BT ports for that model, I did
this for the vx8100.

Most of the change will not affect existing functionality, but the change to
comscan.py could, the "open" function does not work for BT ports, so I had
to change it to use the commport class in bp instead, if someone could check
this to make sure it is OK. I did test with a regular USB cable and it
seemed to be OK.

Code with diffs attached for commit.

Simon
Joe Pham
2005-08-29 02:52:19 UTC
Post by Simon C
I've added some bluetooth autodetect for windows.
It's a good idea, but I'd like to defer this to the Build after next.

NetZero Is Giving Away $3,000 A Day!
Sign up for NetZero HiSpeed 3G with Instant On!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/3Gsweeps TODAY for your chance to win!