[BitPim-devel] Calendar Events Matching Criteria
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-04 16:46:24 UTC
I'm planning to add "Merging" capability to Calendar Import function which, among other things, requires a matching routine to determine if an event exists in BITPIM and should not be overwritten. Right now, I'm thinking of:

same summary(short title), same start, and same end date/time.

All comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Roger Binns
2005-02-04 17:02:03 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
same summary(short title), same start, and same end date/time.
All comments and/or suggestions are welcome.
Use the same scheme as the phonebook does. The first step
is an entry matcher. For each pair of entries it calculates
a score of how closely they match.

The second step is an entry merger which merges the various
fields from the best match into an entry.

Note that you have have to calculate all scores first (N*M
combinations). Just because an import matches an existing
really well, doesn't mean it doesn't match another one even
better.

Due to phone constraints (use the code for incoming entries
from the phone) and those of other data sources, there will
be all sorts of mangling to the data including truncation
of various fields and granularity of times.

You should be able to copy the general scheme and UI from
the phonebook code. You'll also start understanding the
insignificance of the dictionary key for each entry as
you'll be juggling imported entries, existing entries,
result entries and new entries :-)

Roger
d***@netzero.com
2005-02-04 20:06:42 UTC
Use the same scheme as the phonebook does.
I had the feeling you might bring that up :-) I understand you had to do that for Contacts, but with the transient nature of the Calendar Events, would you really need that rigorous process?