[BitPim-devel] Phone Detection Status display
Joe Pham
2006-06-01 04:10:43 UTC
Some ideas on the visual indication of the result of phone detection. Comments & suggestions welcome.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Roger Binns
2006-06-01 05:20:59 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Some ideas on the visual indication of the result of phone detection.
Comments & suggestions welcome.
The colour isn't necessary and makes the UI more garish. If you
want any visual distinction at all, I'd suggest using bold for
successful autodetection, plain for manual and flashing for
broken/unavailable. The latter is about the only time we'd
want to people to actually look at what they are trying to use.

Roger
Simon C
2006-06-01 05:45:50 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Some ideas on the visual indication of the result of phone
detection. Comments & suggestions welcome.
The coloured status bar for the 'ready' in 9.01 doesn't look very good on
the mac so I'd stay away from more colouring. How about a small icon that
changes based on the status instead?

Simon
Ira Brickman
2006-06-01 11:51:58 UTC
I'm just an end user, with some experience creating GUI's, and I'm form
America (judging from how "colour" is spelled in the two comments, I jusge
you both are not.)
Stuart Freeman
2006-06-01 12:35:45 UTC
you both are not.)
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Simon C
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I understand you don't agree, but visually appealing, easily found, graphic
indicators are always of preference over words in a modern world filled with
a plethora visual symbols (let alone a lifetime of ads, television and
movies.)

Ira Brickman

Simon
Ira Brickman
2006-06-01 13:28:16 UTC
I appreciate your concern for the 5% of the population that is color-blind
and for your advocacy of literacy.

you both are not.)
Simon C
2006-06-01 15:06:44 UTC
Post by Ira Brickman
I'm just an end user, with some experience creating GUI's,
and I'm form America (judging from how "colour" is spelled in
the two comments, I jusge you both are not.)
This is total BS and has no place here. If you want to engage people in this
way find a different forum or even better, go back to your multi-coloured TV
and myopic view of America and trouble no-one.

Simon
Ira Brickman
2006-06-01 16:11:52 UTC
Sorry. You'll here no more from me. Cultural differences as you've taken it
wronly.

Simon
Paul Jack
2006-06-01 16:27:27 UTC
Post by Simon C
and myopic view of America and trouble no-one.
Simon
I'm a Red/Green Color blind American who has no problem with Colour.
Actually I can see most shades of Red and Green, just not all.

I agree that the red, yellow, green colors were a bit much. Probably just
too
much of the color on the status bar.

What about a Stop Light icon with the red, yellow, green indications next to
the
text?

Paul
Baltz, Philip
2006-06-01 16:38:40 UTC
Post by Paul Jack
much of the color on the status bar.
What about a Stop Light icon with the red, yellow, green
indications next to the
Post by Paul Jack
text?
Paul
This sounds like a good compromise to me.

-phil
Joe Pham
2006-06-01 21:56:43 UTC
Post by Simon C
The coloured status bar for the 'ready' in 9.01 doesn't look very
good on the mac
Can you post a screen shot of that. I figure red is red, and green is red on either Windows or Mac. I may have been optimistic.

Simon C
2006-06-02 02:44:03 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Can you post a screen shot of that. I figure red is red, and green is red
on either Windows or Mac. I may have been optimistic.
The colour is OK, the bottom of the ready gets chopped off though.

pdf file attached with screenshot.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-06-02 03:33:30 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Can you post a screen shot of that. I figure red is red, and
green is red on either Windows or Mac. I may have been optimistic.
You have been very optimistic. Macs use a different gamma than
Windows. The different display devices also have different gamuts.
Consequently something "subtle" on your screen can turn out very
differently on someone elses. We had fun at work this week when
yellow on a laptop screen turned into green on a projector.
(Ironically the colour was marking the status of items traffic
light style).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut

2006-06-01 22:04:28 UTC
The colour isn't necessary and makes the UI more garish.
I had to look up to find out what "garish" means. For those who are as vocabularily challenged as I, according to Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

garish (adj) 3: tastelessly showy

Thanks Roger :-)
Post by Roger Binns
I'd suggest using bold for successful autodetection, plain for
manual and flashing for broken/unavailable.
I'll give that a try. But since the statusbar is fairly small, subtle changes may not be that apparent to users. Another user suggested a stop-light icon next the text, I might try that too.

Roger Binns
2006-06-02 03:45:04 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I'd suggest using bold for successful autodetection, plain for
manual and flashing for broken/unavailable.
I'll give that a try. But since the statusbar is fairly small, subtle
changes may not be that apparent to users.
The ideal user interface would be a single button labelled "do what I want"
and the user wouldn't have to press it. BitPim should be working correctly
so there is no need to look in the statusbar. *Everything* other than
the user's data is there because of our failures. I highly recommend
reading this:

http://cooper.com/articles/art_goal_directed_design.htm

Users are in no way concerned with the minutiae of their phone model
and which port it is connected to. That information is only relevant
if BitPim doesn't appear to be working.

Roger
Simon C
2006-06-02 04:48:58 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Another user suggested a stop-light icon next the text, I
might try that too.
I think that would look better, a virtual LED on the status bar.

The phone selection wizard has a blank space to the right of phone selection
lists, is it there for a reason?

Simon
Joe Pham