[Bitpim-devel] why variable baud rates?
Grant Edwards
2003-04-30 18:42:50 UTC
Firstly, thanks for bitpim. Pretty cool bit of work. I'm
especially impressed with the cross-platform approach and that
you've chosen Python (my language of choice) and wxWindows.

I'm curious why bitpim cycles through different baud rates
rather than allowing the user to specify which baud rate the
phone has been set to use.

For example: when the phone is set to 115200, what's the point
of trying other baud rates?
--
Grant Edwards
***@visi.com
Roger Binns
2003-04-30 22:43:49 UTC
Post by Grant Edwards
For example: when the phone is set to 115200, what's the point
of trying other baud rates?
The phone could be set to 19200, 115200 or 230400. If it is
already in data management mode, then it will be at 38400.

My attitude is roughly "Why ask the user? It is a computer
and can figure it out."

For more on my inspiration, see
http://www.cooper.com/articles/art_goal_directed_design.htm

Roger
Grant Edwards
2003-05-02 19:10:12 UTC
Post by Grant Edwards
For example: when the phone is set to 115200, what's the point
of trying other baud rates?
The phone could be set to 19200, 115200 or 230400. If it is
already in data management mode, then it will be at 38400.
Ah. I didn't realize that data management mode always ran at
38400. I remember being confused about the baud rates I saw in
the logs. Now it makes sense.
Post by Roger Binns
My attitude is roughly "Why ask the user? It is a computer
and can figure it out."
My experiences in the past with auto-detection of baud rates
and the like hasn't been good, but it does seem to work in this
case.
--
Grant Edwards
***@visi.com