[Bitpim-devel] yay, im the second member :-p
Vic D
2003-03-09 22:22:41 UTC
Hello bitpim-devel,

Roger, would you mind posting source code and/or file format that
the phone uses? I am very interested in developing a package to
synchronize phone book and/or scheduler with PC
[either in c++ or Delphi]
--
Best regards,
Vic mailto:***@optonline.net
Roger Binns
2003-03-09 22:38:41 UTC
(You are actually the third member :-)
Post by Vic D
Roger, would you mind posting source code and/or file format that
the phone uses? I am very interested in developing a package to
synchronize phone book and/or scheduler with PC
[either in c++ or Delphi]
Bitpim already does the synchronizing so you would be duplicating it!

You can get the sourcecode from http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=75211

There is a specific phonebook protocol. (And boy is it a piece of junk.)
For everything else you access the filesystem of the phone. You can use
the filesystem browser in bitpim to see stuff (double clicking on a file
gives you a hex dump).

To see the specific protocol information, look in the file
com_lgvx4400.py

2003-03-09 22:55:51 UTC
There is a specific phonebook protocol. (And boy is it a piece of junk.)
For everything else you access the filesystem of the phone. You can use
BTW there is also a protocol viewer tab in bitpim. That way you can actually
see what is sent/received.

The phone is very finnicky with the protocols. If you get one slight
thing wrong, it will either ignore you, pretend that it actually
succeeded, or my favourite which is to generate an erroneous error.

2003-03-09 23:24:06 UTC
I've check out the scheduler file format and so far it looks
very random... why cant those idiots use comma-delimited files
for storage or something :)
Because it isn't a PC. It has very limited CPU and RAM (both need power).
They use fixed length records for everything. This is very easy to
read/write as C structs.
Ill take a look at phone book etc over the spring break. I am
very interested in creating an application that either
synchronizes with outlook calendar or emulates it.
I'm going to be adding that functionality to bitpim anyway. Initially
it will be direct editing in bitpim itself, and then will expand to
include Outlook and Palm Desktop on Windows and Mozilla on Linux.