[BitPim-devel] [BitPim-user] [PHONE SUPPORT] Sanyo 6600 Katana Spr int PCS
Joe Pham
2006-10-19 21:21:03 UTC
Stephen, a few more questions:

1. Can each contact have more than 1 type of numbers (ie, 2nd cell),
and if so how are they handled in the vcard file?
2. Can each contact have more than 1 address, email, and url?
3. Can BitPim reliably retrive the category info (index and name)
from the phone? If not, we should just ignore the category field
when exporting (and importing) contacts info.

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com
Stephen Wood
2006-10-20 00:34:38 UTC
Joe:

Here is a Vcard from the phone with every field filled in. The phone only
allows one address, one url, but two emails, each of which can be either
Internet or mobile. It converted the comma's in the address to semicolons.
In other fields commas get escaped with a \.

BitPim can't read or write the phonebook yet. I don't know the protocol. I
am trying variations on what other Sanyo's use, but no luck yet. I may try
OBEX over the cable, but I have more to learn there.

For Vcard import/export. I think it is OK to interpret X-GN when bitpim is
reading a vcard. But, we shoulnd't write X-GN and X-GNO unless we come
across phones that pay attention to X-GN.

Stephen
2006-10-20 04:03:15 UTC
Stephen, I just added vCard export support for the Katana, please
check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.privatephone.com
Stephen Wood
2006-10-26 05:48:21 UTC
That works well, given the limitations of the phone.

If I have have an email address that is "MOBILE" (which reads from the phone
as no type), read the contact into BitPim, and then write it out, it will
get the type "INTERNET". That probably fine since we don't have the
internet/mobile choice in BitPim, just the Home/Business choice.

One thing that I still need to do when I send vcards to the Katana is remove
the N record. That is because I list my contacts as "Lastname, Firstname".
The FN record has it that way, but the phone constructs the name from the N
record, if it exists making the contact show up on the phone as "Firstname
Lastname". (I wonder if I change the order in the vcard to put N before FN,
if it will take FN as the way to construct the name? I'll have to try
that.) I am sure I am in the minority putting my contacts as Lastname,
Firstname though.

Stephen