[BitPim-devel] Have you read the getting started recently?
tz
2005-11-17 17:00:31 UTC
It says I need to:

Get BitPim source code
Check out the BitPim code from CVS. I recommend checking it out to a directory named c:\projects\bitpim or something similar on other platforms. The cvs section has pointers to various graphical and command line clients you can use.

I don't have a c:\ path on linux, nor on Mac OS X, so I don't think that will work. Some places give specific RPMs to get which are of no help on Windows or Mac OS X. And there is no consistency to which packages give specific platform instructions and which don't.

I did read the section. Carefully. I tried following the instructions, but it isn't always clear which piece is needed where, nor even how to build or run from the build directory even if I have all the pieces.

For example, the wx package seems to want to install where it wants, but won't build right under windows. When it builds under my other systems it still complains about not finding module wx. I don't know why. I've spent hours and tried every combination I can think of. Many of the other modules have similar problems.

The one liner "get package X from Y", where Y is some random page for the package which often doesn't contain any downloads, or may have several versions with different features which I have no way of knowing which is the right one, etc. is really of no help. I may have all the pieces, but they might be the wrong version, they might not be in the right place, they may not be configured properly, or I may need to adjust something in my build environment, none of which I can possibly know or easily figure out.

If someone has a clean system and manages to get bitpim to build, I would appreciate it if they would log the steps and exact things they downloaded (and if they needed to build or just install and any options required).
Roger Binns
2005-11-17 18:00:30 UTC
Post by tz
I don't have a c:\ path on linux, nor on Mac OS X,
That is why it says "or something similar on other platforms"
Post by tz
And there is no consistency to which packages give specific
platform instructions and which don't.
Actually there is. If the package is platform neutral then there
are no platform specific instructions. If the package pages
include per platform information then that is not duplicated.
Post by tz
For example, the wx package seems to want to install where it wants,
but won't build right under windows.
wxPython has binaries for Windows, Linux and Mac. However the Linux
binaries are unlikely to work hence there being extra Linux instructions.
Post by tz
When it builds under my other systems it still complains about
not finding module wx.
These are developer instructions, not end user instructions. Developers
are expected to have a little more knowledge about their own systems
and operating system they wish to use.
Post by tz
The one liner "get package X from Y", where Y is some random page
for the package which often doesn't contain any downloads, or may
have several versions with different features which I have no way
of knowing which is the right one, etc. is really of no help. I
may have all the pieces, but they might be the wrong version, they
might not be in the right place, they may not be configured properly,
or I may need to adjust something in my build environment, none of
which I can possibly know or easily figure out.
You never need to adjust your build environment. List which specific
one liners are a problem and how they are a problem and I'll update
the doc to be more detailed.

Roger
Michael C.
2005-11-17 19:23:31 UTC
Post by tz
[...]
As a matter of fact, I did EXACTLY what was specified a couple of months
ago, and built a development system on Windows XP with no problems.

Michael C.