[Bitpim-devel] phonebook tm520 && vx10
Alan Gonzalez
2003-10-03 00:01:11 UTC
Are the phonebook entries in the p_lgtm520.p correct? For the vx10 they aren't
working correctly. If so we'll need a different module for the lgvx10. I keep
getting the init response back when trying to request the next entry.

I was excited that the tm520 would be the same, but possibly not.

Alan

http://shopping.yahoo.com
Scott Craig
2003-10-03 00:40:17 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
Are the phonebook entries in the p_lgtm520.p correct? For the vx10 they aren't
working correctly. If so we'll need a different module for the lgvx10. I keep
getting the init response back when trying to request the next entry.
Yes, the p_lgtm520.p file is correct so far, I think. But I haven't
had time to get com_lgtm520.py going yet. All it has so far is stuff
Roger wrote without access to the phone. I can spend some time on it
tonight.

Scott
Scott Craig
2003-10-03 02:55:56 UTC
Scott Craig wrote:

I haven't
Post by Scott Craig
had time to get com_lgtm520.py going yet. All it has so far is stuff
Roger wrote without access to the phone. I can spend some time on it
tonight.
Scott
OK, I got it working, but not ideally. There doesn't seem to
be any way to avoid rebooting the phone. I've tried various
combinations, but no luck. One positive is that it uses the
more general Qualcomm data mode (QCDM) rather than LGDM.

I will send what I have to Roger. Now it throws an exception
when trying to render the phonebook tab. Something about missing
groups, which the tm520 doesn't have. Someone else can fix this.

Scott
Roger Binns
2003-10-03 04:32:20 UTC
Post by Scott Craig
OK, I got it working, but not ideally. There doesn't seem to
be any way to avoid rebooting the phone. I've tried various
combinations, but no luck.
The phone rebooting annoyed the heck out of me on the VX4400
until I figured out how to avoid it. Basically if you send
command 0x00, then you end up having to reboot.
Post by Scott Craig
One positive is that it uses the
more general Qualcomm data mode (QCDM) rather than LGDM.
To be honest, I don't think that makes any difference at
all, other than QCDMG is supported on all phones, not just
LG.
Post by Scott Craig
I will send what I have to Roger.
Ok, merging it in now. One question I have is if you are sure
exactly the same code works on the VX1 as implied by the
comment?

You also moved the code that fills in entry back in the
main loop. What was wrong with the extractphonebookentry
function? (It did have a bug in that there was no return
statement :-) I made it use that function again. Of particular
note is that it fills in the serials. These are needed if
you don't want to lose speed and voice dials.
Post by Scott Craig
Now it throws an exception
when trying to render the phonebook tab. Something about missing
groups, which the tm520 doesn't have. Someone else can fix this.
I have dumped all the groups code in the phonebook. The groups,
ringtones and wallpaper stuff from the phone will need to update
the UI at some point, so a list of relevant choices can be made
to the user. "relevant" will depend on what is built into the
phone, and what it can be extended with (eg new ringtones, new
groups).

Roger
Scott Craig
2003-10-03 04:57:34 UTC
The phone rebooting annoyed the heck out of me on the VX4400
until I figured out how to avoid it. Basically if you send
command 0x00, then you end up having to reboot.
Well, I tried many combinations, and the one thing that seems
to be necessary is that command. Sorry.
Post by Roger Binns
Ok, merging it in now. One question I have is if you are sure
exactly the same code works on the VX1 as implied by the
comment?
I do not have a VX1 phone. I do not live in an area serviced
by Verizon (the V of VX). My provider is Telus Mobility (TM).
I am not sure that it works on any phone other than my own.
I submitted it for testing. I didn't realize I had implied anything
more.
Post by Roger Binns
You also moved the code that fills in entry back in the
main loop. What was wrong with the extractphonebookentry
function? (It did have a bug in that there was no return
statement :-) I made it use that function again. Of particular
note is that it fills in the serials.
The function fills in the one serial listed twice in the entry,
and ignores the other number, which I assumed is a serial, given
all that data to a function, when the data could just as easily be
set in the loop itself. You will have to add these parameters to the
function to pick up the second serial.
Roger Binns
2003-10-03 05:44:23 UTC
Post by Scott Craig
Well, I tried many combinations, and the one thing that seems
to be necessary is that command.
Have you tried command 0x06? DataPilot sent it a LOT to the
4400, but it didn't seem necessary to me.
Post by Scott Craig
Sorry.
No need to apologise. It isn't my phone being rebooted :-)
Post by Scott Craig
I didn't realize I had implied anything more.
I thought I hadn't spotted someone saying the same code
worked on the VX1. I would like a large number of phones
to work, and it got my hopes up :-)
Post by Scott Craig
The function fills in the one serial listed twice in the entry,
and ignores the other number, which I assumed is a serial, given
all that data to a function, when the data could just as easily be
set in the loop itself. You will have to add these parameters to the
function to pick up the second serial.
My intention is to move the getphonebook code in com_lg rather than
have seperate versions in each phone specific code. When you see
how long the code is for saving a phonebook, you will understand
why :-)

Originally the extract code was a huge list of manipulating bytes
which is significantly shorter due to the new description stuff.

The serials are relevant when writing. They cause an existing
entry to be overwritten rather than a new one to be created.
On the 4400, the voice dials and speeddials index to a serial
number so if you create an identical entry but with a different
serial, you lose those dials.

Are you sure the serial returned from the next entry command
is actually needed? The 4400 also had that field, but it
isn't used anywhere.

(We could also solve this by moving the extract function
call to after the next entry response is received).

Roger
Alan Gonzalez
http://shopping.yahoo.com
Alan Gonzalez
2003-10-03 11:39:48 UTC
I tried the fixed getphonebook code you sent me and it works! Nice work. My
phone plays a short ring when doing the phonebook extract?? Does yours do
that?

When you get a chance, try out the calendar code (once roger merges your code
with mine in cvs)

So do I now have to reboot my phone in order to use it? I guess it'll be
apparent that I need to reboot when I go to use the phone.

In terms of the calendar, I faked out the calendar gui by setting a 'repeat'
key to being 'None' for the lgvx10 since the gui needed that to be defined.
Post by Scott Craig
I haven't
http://shopping.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-10-03 17:06:28 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
When you get a chance, try out the calendar code (once roger merges your code
with mine in cvs)
Your code and Scott's code were both merged yesterday.

Unfortunately the anonymous CVS is about 24 hours behind.

I update http://bitpim.sf.net/pyxr after doing a merge, so you can
at least see what I did :-)

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/pyxr/c/projects/bitpim/com_lgtm520.py.html#0054

Roger
Alan Gonzalez
http://shopping.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-10-08 00:07:37 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
what about the p_lgtm520.p?
Unfortunately the pyxr tool I use only does .py files. However
the anonymous CVS should be 24 hours or less behind.

I have also been toying with the idea of dumping the source .p
file into the generated .py as part of the documentation.

Roger
Alan Gonzalez
2003-10-08 17:21:20 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
what about the p_lgtm520.p?
Unfortunately the pyxr tool I use only does .py files. However
the anonymous CVS should be 24 hours or less behind.
I have also been toying with the idea of dumping the source .p
file into the generated .py as part of the documentation.
Roger
What I was meaning is that the .p file didn't have my change to the calendar
entries and also the com_lgtm520.py didn't have my changes for reading the
calendar datastream. I just checked again today and still see the older
calendar code in both. Should I resend you my changes?

Alan

http://shopping.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-10-09 01:48:15 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
What I was meaning is that the .p file didn't have my change to the calendar
entries and also the com_lgtm520.py didn't have my changes for reading the
calendar datastream. I just checked again today and still see the older
calendar code in both. Should I resend you my changes?
I got one mail from with the preliminary version of the getcalendar function
and protocol description which I added at the time. Unfortunately both
anonymous cvs and the web based stuff are down at the moment so I can't
verify if they somehow missed it.

Anyway, if you did send a second email, please resend it. My apologies for
missing it.