[Bitpim-devel] Now that I'm up to date and am talking to the phone...
Eric S. Raymond
2005-01-01 17:45:58 UTC
Now that I'm up to date, have found the right serial device
(/dev/ttyACM0) and am talking to the Sprint Samsung VI660 phone I have,
would somebody remind me what the right way to probe an unkown phone is?

I recall something about sending it AT commands, which fits since I
now understand that the phone looks like a USB modem to the OS. Is
there a document anywhere suggesting what commands should be tried?
Is it time to write one?

Also, how can I know what the right baud rate, stop bits, and parity are?

Never could an increase of comfort or security be a sufficient good to be
bought at the price of liberty. -- Hillaire Belloc
Roger Binns
2005-01-01 18:27:52 UTC
[I've re-ordered what you wrote]
Post by Eric S. Raymond
Also, how can I know what the right baud rate, stop bits, and parity are?
The good news with USB modem devices is that it is irrelevant :-)
I usually just use 115200 and defaults for the rest.
Post by Eric S. Raymond
Now that I'm up to date, have found the right serial device
(/dev/ttyACM0) and am talking to the Sprint Samsung VI660 phone I have,
would somebody remind me what the right way to probe an unkown phone is?
Have a look in dev-doc. samsungnotes.txt will give you an idea of
context.

Then have a look at phonespec.html which gives you an idea of how
phone models are represented in BitPim. (Updates for this file
will be greatly appreciated!)

The normal way of talking to a phone in BitPim is using a packet
description language. You can see the description of that language
in dev-doc/packetdescription.txt. You can see an example of it
in action:

python analyser.py examples/vx4400phonebookupdate.txt

You can also turn on protocol logging in BitPim and press ctrl-alt-p
in the protocol log pane.

As far as I know the existing Samsung code isn't using this
description stuff, but Stephen is now moving things over so
that it is.

Roger
Eric S. Raymond
2005-01-01 20:09:30 UTC
As far as I know the existing Samsung code isn't using this
description stuff, but Stephen is now moving things over so
that it is.
Sounds like it would be wiser for me to wait until that's done.

Meanwhile, I may have a look at removing the DSV dependency.
Stephen Wood
2005-01-01 20:38:49 UTC
Post by Eric S. Raymond
Post by Roger Binns
As far as I know the existing Samsung code isn't using this
description stuff, but Stephen is now moving things over so
that it is.
Sounds like it would be wiser for me to wait until that's done.
As far as coding, that is probably wise, but documenting the phone
like others are in "dev-doc/samsungnotes.txt" would still be a useful
effort now.
Post by Eric S. Raymond
Meanwhile, I may have a look at removing the DSV dependency.
If we are trying to remove DSV, then importexport.py is really the
only place where that needs to be done. As Samsung codes moves to
using packet descriptions, the need for DSV will go away.

Stephen