[BitPim-devel] PhoneBook entry editor
Jerad Clark
2006-04-17 23:59:41 UTC
I think it may have gotten a little messed up in the latest code that
was checked in (4/16/06).

When I add an Email address (or view one already entered), I have
these 3 fields: SpeedDial, Ringtone, Wallpaper.

Just an fyi,
Jerad

All the evil in this world is a denial of what is true.
Joe Pham
2006-04-18 00:48:28 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
When I add an Email address (or view one already entered), I have
these 3 fields: SpeedDial, Ringtone, Wallpaper.
Those are there to support a new Motorola phone. They don't impact your phone if your phone does not use them.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Jerad Clark
2006-04-18 03:10:17 UTC
well, that's just plain awkward then as they are already on the other
tabs. Can we selectively enable this feature for the moto 710 when it
gets detected?

Or is that what the red/blue/black font colors are trying to tell me?

Jerad
Jerad Clark
2006-04-20 13:04:49 UTC
Found this on some random help file

* Blue: Applicable to this phone.
* Red: Not applicable to this phone.
* Black: Unknown applicability.
Simon C
2006-04-20 14:40:56 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
3 fields: SpeedDial, Ringtone, Wallpaper.
Joe,

I had a look at this, it will totally confuse users.
There are now two ways to set the ringtone and wallpaper for a number, one
for the moto and one for all other phones.
Aside from the duplicate functionality issue, how is the user supposed to
know to which of the two ways to use to select a wallpaper/ringtone for a
phones, the GUI is supposed to be transparent to the phone type installed.

There is already a category in the wallpaper/ringtone/speeddial tabs to
select the number type that it applies to, maybe the could be expanded to
handle the extra categories on the moto. What ever is done should apply to
all phones.

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-04-20 22:23:25 UTC
Post by Jerad Clark
Found this on some random help file
* Blue: Applicable to this phone.
* Red: Not applicable to this phone.
* Black: Unknown applicability.
I believe Simon added this to the help files, but I'll also add it to the FAQ.

Joe Pham
2006-04-20 22:35:02 UTC
Post by Simon C
There are now two ways to set the ringtone and wallpaper for a
number,
No, there's only one way to assign ringtone and wallpaper to a number. The other way assigns them to a contact.
Post by Simon C
Aside from the duplicate functionality issue
No duplication based on my previous point.
Post by Simon C
how is the user supposed to know to which of the two ways to use to
select a wallpaper/ringtone for a phones
Color coded fields, help files, and finally the good old trial and error. You're right in that it could be confusing to new users.
Post by Simon C
There is already a category in the wallpaper/ringtone/speeddial tabs
to select the number type that it applies to, maybe the could be
expanded to handle the extra categories on the moto. What ever is
done should apply to all phones.
I'm not sure I'm following you.

Simon C
2006-04-21 01:21:06 UTC
Post by Simon C
Post by Simon C
There are now two ways to set the ringtone and wallpaper for
a number,
No, there's only one way to assign ringtone and wallpaper to
a number. The other way assigns them to a contact.
In the ringer tab the user chooses the number type to associate with the
ringtone.
Post by Simon C
Post by Simon C
how is the user supposed to know to which of the two ways to use to
select a wallpaper/ringtone for a phones
Color coded fields, help files, and finally the good old
trial and error. You're right in that it could be confusing
to new users.
The contact editing should not be confusing.
How is the user supposed to know how to edit the ringtone for a contact?
All of the other phones have incorrect coloring for the new fields so this
will confuse more.

Trial and error is not the way to appeal to users, the interface should be
unambiguous.
I really think you need to come up with one way of assigning
ringtones/wallpapers that works with all phones, not two methods of which
the user has to use trial and error to figure out correct method for the
phone they have.
Post by Simon C
to handle the extra categories on the moto. What ever is done should
apply to all phones.
I'm not sure I'm following you.
Extend the idea of categories in the existing ringtone/wallpaper tabs to
allow assignment to specific numbers as well as category.

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-04-21 03:10:25 UTC
Post by Simon C
In the ringer tab the user chooses the number type to associate with
the ringtone.
Not quite the case. The "types" of a ringtone are 'call', 'message', and 'calendar', not the number type ('home', 'office', ...)
Post by Simon C
Extend the idea of categories in the existing ringtone/wallpaper
tabs to allow assignment to specific numbers as well as category.
Ideally, since the ringtone and wallpaper assignments go with the numbers, they should be grouped with the numbers. We might be looking for a lesser evil in this case. Let me ponder on this some more.

Roger Binns
2006-04-21 03:36:51 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Ideally, since the ringtone and wallpaper assignments go with the numbers,
they should be grouped with the numbers.
The issue is that on older phones the same ringtone is used for all numbers
for a contact whereas your newer one allows a seperate ringtone per
number. The UI should have something to express the former (and be the
default) while allowing to do the latter.

Roger
Simon C
2006-04-22 04:55:29 UTC
Post by Simon C
to allow assignment to specific numbers as well as category.
Ideally, since the ringtone and wallpaper assignments go with
the numbers, they should be grouped with the numbers. We
might be looking for a lesser evil in this case. Let me
ponder on this some more.
The database schema is part of this as well.
Ideally a user who imports a phonebook from an LG phone with one ringtone
for numbers in a contact could export this to a moto and have the ringer
preserved on all entries in the same contact, the users should just be able
to set a single ringer for a moto and have it apply to all numbers for a
contact, they should not *have* to select a ringtone on a per number basis,
they should just *have the option* to do so.
It is possible today (from a database perspective) to add multiple ringtones
for a given contact with the the same category, although if you try to send
to the phone only the first will get used.

If you extend the existing schema to include an optional number/email or
index to same you will have something that is compatible with existing code.
The existing code would ignore the new field in the database.
So for the moto instead of
res['ringtones'].append({'ringtone': tone, 'use': 'call'})
You would have
res['ringtones'].append({'ringtone': tone, 'use': 'call',
'number':'123456'})
Or
res['ringtones'].append({'ringtone': tone, 'use': 'message',
'number':'123456'})
res['ringtones'].append({'ringtone': tone, 'use': 'e-mail',
'address':'***@bitpim.org'})

On the contact gui editor you would add a new new combo box to the ringtone
to select the specific number/email that the number applied to, the list
would be populated based on the category selected. By default you would
select "All" as the numbers to apply the ringtone to.

Simon