[Bitpim-devel] Gmane newsgroup
Roger Binns
2004-04-03 23:56:23 UTC
Gmane is trying to host a newsgroup of this mailing list,
and also has a web interface. This message is testing
that.

Roger
Alex Zeiger
2004-04-04 19:59:56 UTC
Yeah, I'm the one who registered devel and users. I just got a 6000 and
find Bitpim a useful utility. Great work guys!
2004-04-04 21:13:10 UTC
Post by Alex Zeiger
Yeah, I'm the one who registered devel and users.
I had to approve you posting this message. You will need to subscribe to
post any more messages. I should also point out that it was fairly rude
not actually asking permission or saying you were going to do that.

There is currently one problem which the Gmane folks are looking into.
I have the lists at SourceForge set so that only subscribers can
post. That stops the zillions of annoying messages from mail
systems responding to forged email from viruses. (There are between
3 and 10 a day on each list).

The messages relayed from Gmane are supposed to have the SMTP From
field being who they subscribed as with the Envelope
Alex Zeiger
2004-04-05 21:30:36 UTC
Post by Alex Zeiger
Yeah, I'm the one who registered devel and users.
I had to approve you posting this message. You will need to subscribe to
post any more messages.
Yes, I noticed. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Gmane?
Post by Roger Binns
I should also point out that it was fairly rude
not actually asking permission or saying you were going to do that.
Sorry. I've subscribed a lot of groups, and I usually do ask. Yet, no
one's ever refused registration so I began laxing the formalities.
Post by Roger Binns
There is currently one problem which the Gmane folks are looking into.
I have the lists at SourceForge set so that only subscribers can
post. That stops the zillions of annoying messages from mail
systems responding to forged email from viruses. (There are between
3 and 10 a day on each list).
Wow, I had thought this list low-trafficked enough to be under the radar
of most spammers and viruses. Gmane certainly won't add to that since it
verifies all email addresses coming from the newsgroup end.
Roger Binns
2004-04-06 00:44:18 UTC
Post by Alex Zeiger
Post by Roger Binns
I had to approve you posting this message. You will need to subscribe to
post any more messages.
Yes, I noticed. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Gmane?
Err, you subscribed this list to Gmane. As I pointed out, the list
settings on SF require all posts to be from a subscribed member.
Post by Alex Zeiger
Post by Roger Binns
There is currently one problem which the Gmane folks are looking into.
I have the lists at SourceForge set so that only subscribers can
post. That stops the zillions of annoying messages from mail
systems responding to forged email from viruses. (There are between
3 and 10 a day on each list).
Wow, I had thought this list low-trafficked enough to be under the radar
of most spammers and viruses. Gmane certainly won't add to that since it
verifies all email addresses coming from the newsgroup end.
The spam has been trivial. There is a flood of the "your message couldn't
be delivered due to a virus" stuff. Although Gmane may do some verification,
that doesn't solve the problem on the SF end.

Quite frankly, I don't want to see all those idiotic virus things.
Unfortunately I still have to go into the mailing list admin
interface and remove them every few days (they are help up due
to not being from a subscribed member).