[BitPim-devel] which python?
Kesten Broughton
2012-05-13 00:48:34 UTC
Hi all,

I have a samsung SCH-U820 "Reality" phone I'd like to get working with
BitPim.
I see that sch-U740 is currently supported and am hoping it will be an
educational experience porting and testing on my phone.

Following the setup instructions on http://www.bitpim.org/developer.html
I need to install python 2.5 . I am running ubuntu 11.10 which has python
2.7 by default and I've added 3.2 for developing on Blender.

python.org lists 2.5.6 http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.6/
as an available release. Perhaps i'm not digging deep enough, but I don't
see 2.5 al punto. Will 2.5.6 work?

Once i'm done installation and reading dev-doc, I'd appreciate anyone who
has worked on the sch-u___ series getting in touch in case I need to ask
questions / compare notes.

thanks!

kesten
--
Kesten Broughton
President and Technology Director,
512 701 4209
Daniel Perelman
2012-05-13 02:34:09 UTC
Python 2.7 is backwards compatible with Python 2.5 (the only break in
Python backwards compatibility is between Python 2.x and Python 3.x),
so it should work fine for development. Python 2.5.6 is just the
newest version of Python 2.5 (i.e. with any bug/security fixes), so if
you do decide to use Python 2.5, that's what you would want.

On Ubuntu (or any other Debian-based distro), sudo apt-get build-dep
[package name] should get you all of the packages needed to build that
package.

- Daniel Perelman

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Kesten Broughton
Post by Kesten Broughton
[...]
www.sunfarmkitchens.ca
512 701 4209