[Bitpim-devel] Window position/size saving
Roger Binns
2004-02-27 05:24:33 UTC
I have found one tiny problem which is that wxWidgets (on Windows anyway)
doesn't know about multiple monitors. It only returns information about
the first monitor.

It also looks like wx.GetClientDisplayRect should be called to get the
area of the screen that isn't covered in start bars etc. For example
wx.GetDisplaySize()
wxSize(1600, 1200)
wx.GetClientDisplayRect() # taskbar at the bottom
wxRect(0, 0, 1600, 1168)
wx.GetClientDisplayRect() # taskbar on right side
wxRect(0, 0, 1495, 1200)
wx.GetClientDisplayRect() # on the top
wxRect(0, 32, 1600, 1168)

On Linux with a Gnome desktop, GetClientDisplayRect just returns the
same numbers as GetDisplaySize.

Maybe you want to use this in the heuristics for sizing and placement.

Roger
greg cunningham
2004-02-27 07:36:22 UTC
Trying to see how much memory was available for
ringtones... I have downloaded 3959103 bytes 3.95mb of
ringtones to the vx4500, 3.5mb in one file. Im a
little scared to download any more... dont know what
effect it will have on the phones operating system if
I exceed memory using bitpim. I hope this information
is usefull.

thanks
greg

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
Roger Binns
2004-02-27 07:52:13 UTC
I hope this information is usefull.
Not really :-)
dont know what
effect it will have on the phones operating system if
I exceed memory using bitpim.
I tried it on my phone once. In the protocol the first
packet says how big the file is going to be, so the phone
does know in advance if it is going to be too big. Except
they don't anything about it.

You can quite happily start writing a too large file until
the file system fills up, at which point the phone crashes
and goes into offline mode. You can reboot it and then
delete the file.

If the phone goes into an infinite reboot cycle (rare, but
can happen with the older models) take it back to Verizon
and they will replace it.

This stuff is even discussed in the Brew developer forums.
There is no way programmatically to find out the amount
of free memory, or to be defensive about its use. The
only known technique to find out how much is free is to
fill it up.

Roger
greg cunningham
2004-02-27 07:58:26 UTC
would it help development in any way to know how much
memory the vx4500 has... if it would I will risk
having to trade my phone in... if not then I wont.

thanks
greg
Post by Roger Binns
[...]
Now.
http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
Roger Binns
2004-02-27 08:34:27 UTC
Post by greg cunningham
would it help development in any way to know how much
memory the vx4500 has...
It should tell you the amount free in one of the Get It Now
screens. The actual memory amounts are not useful as there
is no way to manage the free memory. If you zip up all the
files visible in the filesystem you will find out that they
are larger than the amount of memory. The filesystem itself
is some wacky combination of stuff in ROM and flash.

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-02-27 15:04:08 UTC
I have found one tiny problem which is that wxWidgets (on Windows anyway)
doesn't know about multiple monitors. It only returns information about
the first monitor.
I think it's the same on the Mac. At least I find that preferable to
what X does on the Mac with mutliple monitors, you just get one huge
destktop and so a "centered" window splits across two screens. Pros and
Cons I guess, take your pick how you like it. :-)
Post by Roger Binns
It also looks like wx.GetClientDisplayRect should be called to get the
area of the screen that isn't covered in start bars etc. For example
I hadn't seen that in the API, I'll check it out. It would remove some
of the "fudge factor" I had put in there. :-)
Roger Binns
2004-02-27 21:54:12 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
Post by Roger Binns
I have found one tiny problem which is that wxWidgets (on Windows anyway)
doesn't know about multiple monitors. It only returns information about
the first monitor.
I think it's the same on the Mac. At least I find that preferable to
what X does on the Mac with mutliple monitors, you just get one huge
destktop and so a "centered" window splits across two screens. Pros and
Cons I guess, take your pick how you like it. :-)
The problem is that I put the app on the second screen, and every time
I restart it, it keeps ending up back on the first screen.