[BitPim-devel] Data logging
Roger Binns
2006-04-02 00:57:28 UTC
Joe,

I think it would be good to hide that data recording menu. It
is not something most people should go near (ie it is the 5 in
the 95/5 rule :-)

I have made a change to the protogen stuff so that all data
that is sent or parsed is automatically logged. (It goes
up a stack frame and calls self.logdata in that frame.) This
works well in my testing and means you can just use the
analyser. Tweaking definitions is easy as you can you use
the analyser standalone.

See if you like it. I'll have to remove several places where
the existing code proactively logdata's (ie mostly stuff I
wrote :-) since the automatic logging duplicates it.

2006-04-02 03:58:13 UTC
I think it would be good to hide that data recording menu.
I have no problem with that. How would you then access the menu? One of the reasons behind this feature is to allow users to do data recording which we can replay to do debugging (without the need to have access to a phone).
Post by Roger Binns
I have made a change to the protogen stuff so that all data that is
sent or parsed is automatically logged.
That works well.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Simon C
2006-04-02 05:31:20 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I think it would be good to hide that data recording menu.
I have no problem with that. How would you then access the
menu? One of the reasons behind this feature is to allow
users to do data recording which we can replay to do
debugging (without the need to have access to a phone).
I think this is a useful feature, maybe you could dumb down the menu for the
default user, only allow capture, maybe moving the capture options into one
of the other menus to make it less obvious.
A config file option like for the console could enable the full feature.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-04-02 19:56:34 UTC
Post by Simon C
I think this is a useful feature, maybe you could dumb down the menu for the
default user, only allow capture, maybe moving the capture options into one
of the other menus to make it less obvious.
A config file option like for the console could enable the full feature.
I think the menu could be replaced with a dialog box. The whole thing
can then be 1 item in the view menu.