[Bitpim-devel] Plans
Roger Binns
2004-08-14 07:57:03 UTC
This is my current thinking on how the code will be going:

- 0.7.16 will be released after this weekend
- We will move to wxPython 2.5 for 0.7.17. It is being released
this weekend.
- My continuing focus for 0.7 is finishing the phonebook stuff.
The code I am currently working on is dealing with importing/
merging entries and the user interface for that.
- Once that is done, it will become a stable release branch as
0.8. I am hoping this will be in 2 or 3 builds time.
- At the start of 0.9 I will be adding a considerable number of
features including sound file conversion, voice and text memos,
SMS etc. The intention is to aim for breadth of features rather
than depth. The main goal of this is to allow other people to
contribute (it is way easier to work on existing code/features
than to drum them up from scratch). I also meets one of my
original goals of accessing all the features on my phone in the
first place :-)
- At an appropriate point once all the features are in an
acceptable state, it will be called 1.0

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-08-14 14:10:57 UTC
- We will move to wxPython 2.5 for 0.7.17. It is being released
this weekend.
I'm fairly happy about that. ;-) I assume the issues still remain
with the changes in methods and so forth that make it not 100% backward
compatible... Any thoughts on how to coordinate this? Maybe you're just
going to handle it, as I recall from when I first did the 2.5 build for
myself early on it was a fairly trivial process.
Post by Roger Binns
- At the start of 0.9 I will be adding a considerable number of
features including sound file conversion,
Unfortunately this may never make it on the Mac platform, I still have
found nothing that can be properly automated to create the Qualcomm
format files.

I really wish I had more time to actively contribute, but as time goes
on it seems that time is harder and harder to come by, not easier, and
I've already had to put some work projects on the back burner for lack
of time. Oh well, these things too shall pass. ;-)

Thanks for your great work!

Steve
Roger Binns
2004-08-14 20:29:43 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
Post by Roger Binns
- We will move to wxPython 2.5 for 0.7.17. It is being released
this weekend.
I'm fairly happy about that. ;-) I assume the issues still remain
with the changes in methods and so forth that make it not 100%
backward compatible...
The (IMHO gratuitious) changes in many methods taking points and
rects instead of seperate x,y,w,h parameters was reversed for this
release of wxPython.

Note that I have no intention of keeping the code backwards compatible
with 2.4.
Post by Steven Palm
Any thoughts on how to coordinate this?
My plan is to tag the code, and then do all the work myself. I
especially want to remove a lot of code that works around bugs
in 2.4. Once done, I will tag the end. (In theory I should do
it all as a branch and them merge the branch diffs back, but
I can't be bothered :-) I am expecting it to take a few days.
Post by Steven Palm
Post by Roger Binns
- At the start of 0.9 I will be adding a considerable number of
features including sound file conversion,
Unfortunately this may never make it on the Mac platform, I still
have found nothing that can be properly automated to create the
Qualcomm format files.
I presume someone may eventually figure it out by scripting Quicktime
or something equally bizarre. The other major part of this is that
I want to do format conversion to mp3 that the phones will play.
Both your and my phones will accept mono CBR mp3 files. I will use
ffmpeg to do that which will compile on all three platforms.
(There is also a pymedia wrapper which wraps the internals of
ffmpeg. It looked a little too disgusting the last time I examined
it, but may be better now.)
Post by Steven Palm
I really wish I had more time to actively contribute, but as time
goes on it seems that time is harder and harder to come by, not
easier, and I've already had to put some work projects on the back
burner for lack of time. Oh well, these things too shall pass. ;-)
No worries. It is all open source and if anyone cares enough about
their platform together with BitPim then it is up to them to contribute.
(Or send me a Mac :-)