[Bitpim-devel] Mac and LG-vx7000
Douglas Moon
2004-08-28 16:20:00 UTC
Two things today:

One, if I start bitpim (cvs as of today) without my phone plugged in, I
get the following on the console a bit after the splash screen comes
up, and then it all just sits there until I kill it:

kitsune:~/devel/bitpim darcy$ /usr/bin/pythonw bp.py
field alarm needs an id
field ringtone needs an id
field changeserial needs an id
field snoozedelay needs an id
Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 71, in __call__
apply(self.method, self.args+args, d)
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 985, in excepthook
self.HandleException(value)
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 994, in HandleException
self.wt.clearcomm()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clearcomm'

Original exception was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 241, in OnClose
self.goforit()
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 238, in goforit
self.app.makemainwindow()
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 322, in makemainwindow
frame=MainWindow(None, -1, "BitPim", self.config)
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 577, in __init__
wx.Yield()
File "//Library/Python/2.3/wx/_core.py", line 5001, in Yield
return _core_.Yield(*args, **kwargs)
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed in
/tmp/BUILD/wxPythonSrc-2.5.2.7/src/mac/carbon/app.cpp(1082): wxYield
called recursively

Two: I'm using "Other CDMA" as my phone type, and basic operations on
the filesystem view work (directory listings, downloads and uploads),
however when I try to do "Backup Entire Tree..." I get an error.
Attached is a zip file with my main log and protocol log from loading
up bitpim and trying to do a backup. If you need any more
information/help I'm perfectly willing to contribute what I can, time
willing. :)

D. Moon
Roger Binns
2004-08-30 21:03:04 UTC
HandleException self.wt.clearcomm()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clearcomm'
This is a side effect of the real problem below.
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 241, in OnClose
self.goforit()
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 238, in goforit
self.app.makemainwindow()
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 322, in makemainwindow
frame=MainWindow(None, -1, "BitPim", self.config)
File "/Users/darcy/devel/bitpim/gui.py", line 577, in __init__
wx.Yield()
File "//Library/Python/2.3/wx/_core.py", line 5001, in Yield
return _core_.Yield(*args, **kwargs)
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed in
/tmp/BUILD/wxPythonSrc-2.5.2.7/src/mac/carbon/app.cpp(1082): wxYield
called recursively
I don't see how Yield can be called recursively since this is all
mainline code. Maybe the library isn't compiled up right?
Two: I'm using "Other CDMA" as my phone type, and basic operations on
the filesystem view work (directory listings, downloads and uploads),
however when I try to do "Backup Entire Tree..." I get an error.
Attached is a zip file with my main log and protocol log from loading
up bitpim and trying to do a backup. If you need any more
information/help I'm perfectly willing to contribute what I can, time
willing. :)
Mmmm, the phone is behaving different than other models. For every
other phone, when listing the subdirectories of a directory you
get the basenames returned only. Your phone is also including the
full pathname. For example if there is a top level directory
named 'a' with a subdirectory of 'b', and the list of subdirectories
of 'a' is requested, then all the other phones return 'b'. Yours
is returning 'a/b'.

The good news is that this is really easy to fix. If there is a
'/' in the returned data, then remove the last one and all text
before it.

And I just committed the fix for that. Please test and let us
know.

Roger
Douglas Moon
2004-09-02 01:24:26 UTC
I don't see how Yield can be called recursively since this is all
mainline code. Maybe the library isn't compiled up right?
Which library? wxPython? I'm on 2.5.2.7 right now, but I'm out of town
for the week, and a 14.4 cell modem isn't conducive to downloading the
18MB 2.5.2.8 update right now. :) Granted, I'm perfectly happy to avoid
starting bitpim without my phone in for the duration, so it's not a
crucial problem.
Post by Roger Binns
The good news is that this is really easy to fix. If there is a '/'
in the returned data, then remove the last one and all text
before it.
And I just committed the fix for that. Please test and let us
know.
Roger
Backup appears to be working now (is it normal for it to take forever?
Okay, I'm impatient. :) )

So, what's the next thing to do towards support of my phone? I'm
willing to try helping out writing python if you can point me at the
files I would need to modify/add to get started. I'm a programmer by
trade but not directlly experienced in python (yet). Willing to learn
though.

D.
Roger Binns
2004-09-02 02:10:09 UTC
Post by Douglas Moon
Post by Roger Binns
I don't see how Yield can be called recursively since this is all
mainline code. Maybe the library isn't compiled up right?
Which library? wxPython? I'm on 2.5.2.7 right now,
Yes, wxPython.
Post by Douglas Moon
Backup appears to be working now (is it normal for it to
take forever? Okay, I'm impatient. :) )
You can see the timings in the log. The only thing BitPim
is responsible for is a 0.3 second delay after fetching each
file.

That had to be put in, otherwise various phones hung. I think
their pseudo-realtime operating systems couldn't quite cope
with the file stuff using all the CPU.
Post by Douglas Moon
So, what's the next thing to do towards support of my phone?
You'll need to work out what the various fields are and how
big they are. Search for messages from Dale and look at my

There is also a document in the code examples/phonespec.html.

Roger
Douglas Moon
2004-09-04 02:00:47 UTC
Post by Douglas Moon
Post by Roger Binns
I don't see how Yield can be called recursively since this is all
mainline code. Maybe the library isn't compiled up right?
Which library? wxPython? I'm on 2.5.2.7 right now,
Yes, wxPython.
wxPython 2.5.2.8 fixes this problem. Just wanted to let you know.

D.
Roger Binns
2004-09-04 06:51:19 UTC
Post by Douglas Moon
wxPython 2.5.2.8 fixes this problem. Just wanted to let you know.
Excellent. Fortunately there are very few wx workarounds left in
the code.

As for the other observations about zooming rectangles on the Mac,
I have no idea. I'll let you guys figure it out :-)