[Bitpim-devel] Mac OS X and bitpim
Ian Andersen
2003-07-14 22:37:37 UTC
Hello, i just recently got bitpim to start up on Mac OS X (not without
much effort and tears heheh) but now that i've got it running, it is
still no use to me. I've narrowed my problem down to one area. When i
go to "get phone data" i get a bunch of errors, narrowing down to the
fact that in commport.py the line import serial is not accepted and
returns an error of "No module named serial". I'd really like to help
get the mac version up and running for as many mac users as we can so
any help for this problem would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ian Andersen
Roger Binns
2003-07-14 22:59:26 UTC
Post by Ian Andersen
Hello, i just recently got bitpim to start up on Mac OS X (not without
much effort and tears heheh) but now that i've got it running,
Did you follow this guide:

http://videogamexchange.com/sites/lg4400/
Post by Ian Andersen
returns an error of "No module named serial". I'd really like to help
You didn't install pySerial.
Post by Ian Andersen
get the mac version up and running for as many mac users as we can so
any help for this problem would be much appreciated.
What I would really like is a single binary download I can put in the
downloads bit on SourceForge that people can just run. I doubt users
actually care about languages, graphical toolkits or serial ports for
that matter.

People using Linux will be pleased to know that I am almost at the
point of having a RPM with no external dependencies.

Roger
Patrick Hall
2003-07-14 23:58:27 UTC
People using Linux will be pleased to know that I am almost at the
point of having a RPM with no external dependencies.
Indeed!

I did manage to get it running under Redhat 9, somewhat. For some reason
Chinese characters show up in the column headers when I start it up.

Also, I had difficulties with resolution; everything was too small when I
first ran bp.py.

This post was helpful in that regard:

Am I correct in thinking that installing jython is optional? I also had some
difficulty figuring out how to run bitpim without root permissions, I assume
that it is a matter of knowing which files to change permissions on.

I look forward to taking a look at the RPM. I'd be happy to beta-test it.

Cheers,

Patrick Hall
fieldmethods.net: "All the News that's Fit to Parse"
Roger Binns
2003-07-15 01:06:34 UTC
Post by Patrick Hall
Also, I had difficulties with resolution; everything was too small when I
first ran bp.py.
I did put in some code to autoresize. I'll probably tweak it again.
Post by Patrick Hall
Am I correct in thinking that installing jython is optional?
You couldn't use Jython with bitpim if you tried!
Post by Patrick Hall
I also had some
difficulty figuring out how to run bitpim without root permissions, I assume
that it is a matter of knowing which files to change permissions on.
On my Redhat 8 box, the /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 device node is set to have
the same owner as whoever is logged in to the system.
Post by Patrick Hall
I look forward to taking a look at the RPM. I'd be happy to beta-test it.
I am hoping to have something up tonight.

2003-07-15 10:03:21 UTC
Post by Patrick Hall
I look forward to taking a look at the RPM. I'd be happy to beta-test it.
I am hoping to have something up tonight.
I have the rpm produced completely and installing correctly.

Unfortunately the rpm build process helpfully strips all the
files which corrupts them so they won't run. And of course
as with most things Redhat, nowhere do they document how
to prevent the helpful feature of rpmbuild stripping your
binaries and libraries whether you want it or not.

If I ever manage to find out how to disable it, I'll upload
the resulting rpm.

Roger
Alan Pinstein
2003-07-15 14:17:59 UTC
Ian-

It sounds like you didn't install pySerial.... please check the install
directions again and try that out.

Good luck,
Alan
Ian Andersen
2003-07-15 16:48:13 UTC
I had installed pySerial to the wrong location :) I got it figured out
and now i've got some great ringtones and some great wallpapers :)
thanks for your help guys. I'll see if i can set up some kind of mac
binary if possible.

- Ian