[Bitpim-devel] LG phonebook sync question - keeping original entry number
Chris Poon
2004-02-19 20:15:28 UTC
Am I correct in saying that currently BitPIM doesn't keep the original entry
number and will just re-create it when the phonebook is pushed to the phone?
Roger Binns
2004-02-19 22:49:58 UTC
greg cunningham
2004-02-20 05:56:23 UTC
Is pitpim converting mp3 files to midi or does the
vx4500 support mp3 ringtones. I take a normal mp3
file and change the extention to midi... use bitpim
and transfer the file to my vx4500 and it works just
fine as a ringtone. My guess is that the phone is
supporting mp3 because I downloaded a police siren to
it and it works just fine....Ive been told that there
is no way that you can get a siren into midi format.
I think that the phone just requires a mid extention
to the file. I have attached the siren.mid file...
this copy of the file was downloaded back off of my
phone so I know it works.

thanks
greg

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
Chris Poon
2004-02-20 17:59:01 UTC
You can store the entry number as part of the serials. The way the other LG
phones work is that each entry has two serial numbers which are equal and never
change for that entry. Every time you create a new entry, a new serial is
allocated
(the new serial being an ever increasing number).
When writing out to the phone, the existing entries and their serials are
read, and the entries being written out are matched to those. The
software inside the phone maintains the speed dial pointers correctly.
Roger
I'm not sure I understand this, so let me re-state.
When you go a getphonebook, as part of the response, you get the entry number
(entrynumber), which I don't see the code stores in anywhere. When you need to
rewrite a modified entry, I take it that the phone will ignore whatever entry
number you put in the request and use the serial number as the key? For a
brand new entry, the serial should be automatically created, but the entry
number was filled in by an incremental counter - can anyone explain how BREW
handles it when you send a pbappendentryrequest? I know eventually I will
destroy my spare phone testing this, just wanted to know what to expect

Also, is the speed dial being kept at all? I don't see the code for VX4400
doing that currently and I assume you lose your speed dial or is that not
the case?

PS: next up, the LG4600 (VX4600 down in the states), once I justify paying
over $70USD for a data cable which it cost only $30USD (all the taxes, duties,
and shipping handling created a 100%+ overhead). I believe the LG4600 has
very similar phonebook structure, and I know the ringtone/wallpaper handling
already (at least I think I know).
A F
2004-02-20 18:04:27 UTC
Hi Chris,

I'm already looking at the 4600, and already have a cable. Perhaps it would
be better if we were to work together rather than have you purchase another
cable and work independently?

I'll email you everything I've mapped out already over the weekend.

Anthony

2004-02-20 22:04:41 UTC
Post by Chris Poon
I'm not sure I understand this, so let me re-state.
When you go a getphonebook, as part of the response, you get the entry number
(entrynumber), which I don't see the code stores in anywhere.
Correct.
Post by Chris Poon
When you need to
rewrite a modified entry, I take it that the phone will ignore whatever entry
number you put in the request and use the serial number as the key?
No. Look at the savephonebook code. That code re-reads the phonebook,
and matches up the serials of the data about to be written with what is
already on the phone.

The VX4400/4500/6000 require that you write out stuff in entry order,
but there can be holes due to entries being deleted, and then new entries
are appended.

It would be pointless storing the entry number in BitPim since the
phonebook on the phone could change between BitPim reading it and
BitPim writing to it.
Post by Chris Poon
For a
brand new entry, the serial should be automatically created, but the entry
number was filled in by an incremental counter - can anyone explain how BREW
handles it when you send a pbappendentryrequest?
This has nothing to do with Brew. The LG phones store their phonebook in
files particular to them and have their own sync protocol.

The phone has a file containing the next counter number. When you add an
entry, that number gets allocated.
Post by Chris Poon
I know eventually I will
destroy my spare phone testing this, just wanted to know what to expect
Just make sure you do a complete filesystem backup first and you should be
ok. About the worst damage is if the phone gets into an infinite reboot
loop, in which case Verizon will replace the phone.
Post by Chris Poon
Also, is the speed dial being kept at all? I don't see the code for VX4400
doing that currently and I assume you lose your speed dial or is that not
the case?
The speeddial is not read as it isn't included in the phonebook sync protocol
as far as I can tell. It is on a file in the phone, but I haven't quite
figured out how it is stored. The speed dials (and voice dials) are tied to
particular serials, so providing the serials of entries are preserved the
speed/voice dials are preserved.
Post by Chris Poon
PS: next up, the LG4600 (VX4600 down in the states), once I justify paying
over $70USD for a data cable which it cost only $30USD (all the taxes, duties,
and shipping handling created a 100%+ overhead). I believe the LG4600 has
very similar phonebook structure, and I know the ringtone/wallpaper handling
already (at least I think I know).
What a few weeks till bitfling is ready (I'll give more details when it is
closer to completion). It will make development considerably quicker and
easier for phones not in front of you.

Roger
Chris Poon
2004-02-20 19:16:04 UTC
After more digging around in the code, I figure the best way to use
the speeddial key to store the entry number (and as part of discovery,
I have all fields identified for a phonebook entry). I totally forgot
that in the TM520 you have to choose a default phone number for each entry,
which is how the speed dial is assigned - and thus, the phonebook has a field
saying which is the default phone number. All I need to do is assign the
speed dial field with entrynumber for that particular number during
getphonebook, and reset the entrynumber to be the speed dial as well as the
default phone number field. Now I just need to understand fully what the
savephonebook function does (I partially understood it and made it modular
to support phone differences) before I go test it out
Stephen Wood
2004-02-20 19:38:20 UTC
Chris:

I am not sure if it is a useful example for your phone, but the code
for the Sanyo phones saves and restores speed dial settings.

Steve
Roger Binns
2004-02-20 22:20:29 UTC
Post by Chris Poon
After more digging around in the code, I figure the best way to use
the speeddial key to store the entry number
No, that is a bad idea. The speed dial field is used for storing the speed
dial. Remember that BitPim can work with multiple phones concurrently.
Post by Chris Poon
I totally forgot
that in the TM520 you have to choose a default phone number for each entry,
The phonebook format in BitPim is designed to work with that. See the top
of phonebook.py. In particular numbers are ordered, and hence the first
one is the default. The 4400/6000 store 5 numbers in priority order,
with another 5 bytes storing each number type.
Post by Chris Poon
default phone number field. Now I just need to understand fully what the
savephonebook function does (I partially understood it and made it modular
to support phone differences) before I go test it out
Run the analyser on examples\vx4400phonebookupdate.txt to see how the
code works.