[Bitpim-devel] Mac OS X and USB interface
Tim Lowery
2003-03-24 02:30:19 UTC
Hi All,

I tried the Radio Shack data cable (catalog #170-0783), which is what
I'm using on my Windows box. I downloaded and installed the Prolific
driver for Mac OS X, which is listed as md_pl2303_v106.zip on their
website.

So far no luck. Data setting was 115K on the phone. After "Get Phone
Data" I try to display the file structure. But, when I attempt to
expand the directory, it just says "Retrieving...". Nothing is logged
in the Log or Protocol Log windows. Sometimes the application
unexpectedly terminates.

Could there possibly be some byte swapping issues in the serial
protocol? Or, can you suggest a simple test to verify the connection?

I haven't looked at the code yet, and probably won't be able to get
back to this until mid-week.

Tim
Roger Binns
2003-03-24 03:51:09 UTC
Post by Tim Lowery
So far no luck. Data setting was 115K on the phone.
I assume you also set it to com port (menu - 8 - 6 -2 should be
RS232).
Post by Tim Lowery
After "Get Phone Data" I try to display the file structure. But, when I attempt to
expand the directory, it just says "Retrieving...". Nothing is logged
in the Log or Protocol Log windows. Sometimes the application
unexpectedly terminates.
The actual communications is done in the background thread. The gui won't
do anything until that returns the data (or an exception).

This is what you should see doing 'Get Information' with my comments in []

com2: Connecting to port com2, 115200 baud, timeout 2.000000, hardwareflow 0
[The above is printed before trying to make an instance of a Serial object
from serial module (part of pySerial). NB you need pySerial installed for
this to work :-]
com2: Connection suceeded
[The above is from after the object is instantiated]
LG-VX4400: Phone initialised
[The above is printed after the object for talking to the 4400 is instantiated.
No actual communication has happened yet]
LG-VX4400: Manufacturer is LG Electronics Inc.
LG-VX4400: Model is LGE-TM540C 77
LG-VX4400: Software is S/W VER: ND2.1.754PAT TC4VZV04
[These last three are the results of sending AT style modem commands]
Post by Tim Lowery
Could there possibly be some byte swapping issues in the serial
protocol?
Nope.
Post by Tim Lowery
Or, can you suggest a simple test to verify the connection?
Reset the phone (menu 8,6,2 to RS232). Set the baud rate to any
value you want. Start up any terminal style program you have that
can talk on serial ports (on Windows, HyperTerminal does the trick).
Type 'AT' and press return. You should see it echoed back at you.
Type 'AT+GMI' and you should see something about LG.

Until the above test also works, there is no hope of Bitpim working.

Roger
Tim Lowery
2003-03-24 05:37:01 UTC
Type 'AT' and press return. You should see it echoed back at you.
Type 'AT+GMI' and you should see something about LG.
I used ZTerm, and the AT commands for GMI, GMM, and GMR return the
appropriate manufacturer info. Good news!
Post by Roger Binns
[The above is printed before trying to make an instance of a Serial
object
from serial module (part of pySerial). NB you need pySerial installed
for
I just installed pySerial, but I have to defer further testing until
mid-week.

Tim