[BitPim-devel] Support for vx9800 committed
Simon C
2005-10-31 04:18:51 UTC
Debug mode only, as more is testing required, volunteers requested who can
run from source. I can provide a windows binary on request.

Support for SMS, memo, phonebook, sms, calendar, ringers, wallpaper and call
history.

Very similar to the 8100 phone which it is derived from.

The nvm directory on this phone cannot be accessed (at least I can't figure
out a way), I tried the old and new brew methods and the phone responds with
a strange message which I added to the brew protocol so that it raises a
brew file locked exception. I added a new brew command '1' to the 8100 which
seems to retrieve the esn as an alternative to reading the NVM file, if this
works for other phones it could be moved into the p_brew.

Simon
Joe Pham
2005-10-31 06:43:20 UTC
Notes from VX9800 support:

Phonebook:
- Setting wallpaper ID from BitPim to the phone currently does not work due to firmware issue. Will be fixed by the next release.

Calendar:
- VX9800 Monthly recurrent events can support every nth month. BitPim currently does not support that feature.

Other limitations:
- The new BREW protocol does not work 100% with this phone, I got a lot of Failed CRC exceptions while retrieving media files. The old protocol worked fine. Have not looked into this any further. As a result, I temporarily disabled the new protocol for now until the issue is solved.
- As previously posted, neither the old nor the new protocol can access the nvm dir and its sudirs/files.

Other considerations:
- A means to add non-ringtone sound files. We could use the old trick Shif+Add to bypass the Convert Audio File dialog.
- A means for users to change the origin of media files to support sound, mp3, and video files.
- A means for users to designate a non-ringtone sound file to be used as a ringtone (for exam: use your mp3 collection on the SD card for ringtones).

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Simon C
2005-10-31 07:34:50 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
- Setting wallpaper ID from BitPim to the phone currently does not work
due to firmware issue. Will be fixed by the next release.
This is also true on the lgvx6100, 5200 and 8100. I noticed that some other
fields cannot be updated either including the phone numbers. The workaround
for the user is to delete and re-add. Could the fix be done in a way to
accommodate these other phones.
Post by Joe Pham
- VX9800 Monthly recurrent events can support every nth month. BitPim
currently does not support that feature.
The 8100 and 5200 also support this feature, can the change be made in the
calendar code in com_lgvx8100 so that they get it as well.

Simon
Joe Pham
2005-11-01 00:21:17 UTC
Post by Simon C
This is also true on the lgvx6100, 5200 and 8100. I noticed that
some other fields cannot be updated either including the phone
numbers.
I thought they were all working pretty well. Do you know the specific fields that are not updating properly?
Post by Simon C
can the change be made in the calendar code in com_lgvx8100 so that
they get it as well.
The changes would be made in bpcalendar & any other phone that supports it, including the VX8100 & 9800. I'm just wondering if it's being used that often (for example: the 1st Tuesday of every other month?)

Simon C
2005-11-01 01:56:08 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
This is also true on the lgvx6100, 5200 and 8100. I noticed that
some other fields cannot be updated either including the phone
numbers.
I thought they were all working pretty well. Do you know the specific
fields that are not updating properly?
I'll get back to you on this, I'll have to retest it.
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
can the change be made in the calendar code in com_lgvx8100 so that
they get it as well.
The changes would be made in bpcalendar & any other phone that supports
it, including the VX8100 & 9800. I'm just wondering if it's being used
that often (for example: the 1st Tuesday of every other month?)
Yeah I wonder the same if there is any point supporting this, it is a really
weird repeat setting. The LGCALREPEAT class supports it, but I remember when
I was working on this the phone (8100) was buggy and would forget what I had
set and revert to a previous setting, in particular if the start date did
not match the first day of the repeating event.
I had to add a reboot after writing the calendar as one user reported that
the phone hung after an update, did you notice the this, I don't have a 9800
phone so I can't test myself.

Simon