[BitPim-devel] mp3 to qcp conversion
d***@netzero.com
2005-01-11 20:12:22 UTC
Based on Roger's work with the mp3 stuff, I added support to convert from mp3 to qcp ringtones for use on the Samsung phones (using ffmpeg and pvconv helpers). Depending on the tune, some sound decent, others do not.

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!
Vic Heintz
2005-01-11 21:02:56 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
Based on Roger's work with the mp3 stuff, I added support to convert
from mp3 to qcp ringtones for use on the Samsung phones (using ffmpeg
and pvconv helpers). Depending on the tune, some sound decent, others
do not.
I'm not sure what this means. At what point is the conversion done?
Adding ringtone to bitpim or sending to phone? And what will happen on
a Mac?

Vic
Roger Binns
2005-01-12 04:14:49 UTC
Post by Vic Heintz
I'm not sure what this means. At what point is the conversion done?
Adding ringtone to bitpim or sending to phone? And what will happen on
a Mac?
All conversions should be done at the point an item is added to BitPim.
By default items will be made to be within the specs of the phone,
with varying degrees of user interaction in the process.

My intention is to have items shaded that aren't within the specs of
the currently selected phone so you can tell at a glance. That would
happen if you read from one model and want to write to another.

Roger

d***@netzero.com
2005-01-11 22:27:46 UTC
At what point is the conversion done? Adding ringtone to bitpim or >sending to phone?
It's done when users adds new ringtones to BITPIM. If a new ringtone file is an MP3 file, BITPIM can convert it to an qcp file, which then could be transferred to the phone. The new ringtone would then show up as a qcp file on the ringtone display tab.
And what will happen on a Mac?
This conversion needs 2 helper binaries: ffmpeg and pvconv. pvconv is currently available only on Windows & Linux. Unless an equivalent tool is available for the Mac, this conversion will not be available on the Mac. Right now, it would generate an exception and wouldn't let you add any mp3 files. We could come up with more graceful way to handle it.