[Bitpim-devel] How to handle speed dial index
Stephen Wood
2003-11-09 16:09:37 UTC
As I prepare to get up the nerve to let my Sanyo 4900 modification to
Bitpim write to my phone, I wonder how Bitpim should handle Speed dial
indices. The speed dial index will be overwritten unless I explicitly
write it out. OK, so I only have 8 speed dial slots on the phone which
will take about 2 minutes to recreate by hand, but why not get it right?

If bitpim can save a speed dial index along with the phone book, then
this pretty much solves the problem.

If it is not planned for bitpim to save a speed dial index (or if one is
writing a phonebook to a phone where that phonebook doesn't have a speed
dial index), I thought that the speed dial could be handled as follows.

1. Before writing to the phone, read the speed dial index.
2. Remove speed dial entries that don't have a corresponding number in
the phonebook being written to the phone.
3. Write out the edited speed dial list.
Roger Binns
2003-11-09 19:24:58 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I wonder how Bitpim should handle Speed dial
indices.
There are two choices. One would be to store it as a seperate
table alongside phonebook. Groups is already done this way,
although I do want to get rid of that.

The other is to add speed and voice dial information to each
phone number if needed. This is what I would prefer to happen.
The only side effect is that the speed dial then becomes a
property of the number, not the phone. As an example if you
read from one phone and then wrote to another, the second
phone would end up with the same speeddials.

The second approach is what I prefer.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2003-11-10 04:03:30 UTC
I'll add an attribute 'speeddial' to each number that has a speed dial
number.

'numbers': [{'type': 'cell', 'number': '1234567890', 'speeddial': 3}],

(Should the speed dial key/index be a number or string?)

I won't deal with voice dial now since the actual voice files are
available and can be read and written and kept track of which makes it
all the more complicated.

Steve
2003-11-11 06:31:26 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I'll add an attribute 'speeddial' to each number that has a speed dial
number.
'numbers': [{'type': 'cell', 'number': '1234567890', 'speeddial': 3}],
(Should the speed dial key/index be a number or string?)
A number (unless we discover a problem with that). I have added speeddial
as an attribute to the doc at the top of phonebook.py