[BitPim-devel] Updated BitPim todo list
Joe Pham
2006-07-17 05:00:03 UTC
Please let me know what you think.

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com
Michael C.
2006-07-17 20:48:06 UTC
Joe,

With Simon's guidance, I will be finishing the LG VX8300 support. This
will include "wallpaper" and "ringers" for the contacts, and various
other issues. There are some differences between the VX8100 and VX8300
which he wants me to work on.

Michael C.
Post by Joe Pham
Please let me know what you think.
PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com
BitPim TODO list
*$Id: todo.html 2858 2006-03-04 19:35:10Z rogerb $*
*Blue*: Completed.
*Orange*: Being worked on.
*Red*: Not active.
Components/Summary Who intends to work on it Detailed description
New Calendar GUI and data structure
Time Handling Deal with timezones. All current code just uses
localtime and gets lucky.
Add support for calendar Only Replace All is available at the moment
Outlook Calendar import and export
Evolution Calendar import and export
iCal/vCal Calendar import
iCal/vCal Calendar export Joe
Export phonebook to Outlook CSV
Add support for wallpaper and ringtone Only Replace All is
available at the moment
Deal with unsupported image or ringer formats coming from the phone
phone video download support Phone videos are being downloaded
along with images
Extracting QCP audio stream from video files The movies usually
use MPEG4 video with QCP audio. The QCP audio stream needs to be
extracted so that it can be converted to something more useful using
pvconv.
Ability for user to change origin field (wallpaper/ringtones) This
allows the user to make files be placed elsewhere on the phone.
Format selection based on origin The code needs to select and
update the format of media files based on origin or user changes to
the origin. This includes changing resolution.
Ringtone format conversion
Extract duration from QCP files The duration of QCP files needs to
be worked out. This requires an understanding of the file formats, and
grovelling in the data within.
Lazy read/write for Brew files Roger Currently we read files from
the filesystem even if we have a perfectly good copy. We also
overwrite files with exactly the same content.
Deal with character set issues to/from the phones Things currently
work fine for ASCII. We need to deal with non-ascii characters.
Identify correct Unicode charsets for individual phone models All
Things currently work fine for ASCII. We need to deal with non-ascii
characters.
Plain text import/export of database This is to allow backup and
restore of the database
Storing Python objects in the database Python objects could be
stored in the database using pickling. This won't be needed until it
is needed as it will make the database non-human readable.
Removing dependency on DSV Joe There is a native Python CSV module
in Python 2.3+. The DSV module has more functionality such as being
able to guess if the first row is a header and guessing delimiters.
Unfortunately it isn't maintained any more and has some bugs. So we'll
convert to the native module.
Getting the hexviewer to also edit data
Sprint Samsung calendar issues Stephen Already happened events
should be written if phone has room.
Sprint Samsung wallpaper writing Stephen Wallpaper write support is
needed. It a matter of figuring out the acceptable image size and
color depth.
Sprint Samsung ringtone/wallpaper assignment Stephen Unlike A620,
the A740/A840 can accept assignment of contacts to builtin
ringers/images.
Statistics display Stephen Some kind of way for the user to find out
statistics of hist data. i.e. number of contacts, number of calendar
entries, etc. Either as part of each panel or a dedicated statistics
panel.
File dates When files are grabbed from the phone and then placed
on the host filesystem, the date should be set to be the same as it
was on the phone.
Database data items deletion (Automatically ?) delete old BitPim
data items from the database.
Capability to store list entities something along the line of {
'key1': [ { 'key2': [ item1, item2, ..] }, ... ] }
Recurrent calendar events that span more than 1 day Joe May need 2
separate end dates: one for the duration of each recurrence, and one
for the overall event.
Michael C.
2006-07-19 14:39:23 UTC
Simon, et al.

I have just noticed a bug in the VX8300 calendar code; I'm not sure if
it is inherited from the VX8100 or not. Last night I put a ringtone on
the SD card, and started using it for some of my appointments (I wanted
a different type of tone for my calendar vs my regular phone ringers).
When I assigned the new tone via BitPim, the phone saw a different
assignment, one of the built in tones.

Digging further into it (without the debug tools), I see that the
builtins are not being expanded correctly. When I look at the list of
available ringtones, I see in the list, ": Loud Beeps", along with the
MP3s I loaded (both on the SD card and directly on the phone), along
with Ringtone 1 through 10, and "VZW Default Ringtone". I seem to be
missing the following:
- Low Beeps Once
- Low Beeps
- Loud Beeps Once

Do you also see this on the VX8100?

I am attaching a screenshot of the list of ringtones to help illustrate
the problem. I plan on looking at this further tonight when I get home.

Mike C.
Michael C.
2006-07-20 06:07:43 UTC
Simon, Joe:

I think I understand the ringer assignment better regarding the VX8300
calendar packets. The builtin ringers are assigned by number, 0 through
15. However, any additional ringers are assigned an index of 100 (hex
64). Now the kicker: The additional 256 characters that until now have
been unknown in the event packet, are in fact, the LOCATION of the
ringer file!!!!

I have a lot more to do, and will have many questions for both of you!
;-) I have updated several files locally, and will submit them to you
within a few days, once I think I have things finalized. So far, I have
updated the following files:
p_lgx8300.p -- Updated the protocol for the calendar event
com_lg.py -- Updating the "class LGUncountedIndexedMedia" methods
com_lgvx8100.py -- Continuing the updates for the VX8300

One thing I still cannot fathom is how the list within the GUI,
specifically the calendar ringer tab, is generated. I have fixed the
"results" variable within the LGUncountedIndexedMedia class (i.e.,
"getringtones" method) but it does not appear the GUI uses it; instead,
it looks like it hard codes the class to pull the getringtones method
from (i.e., self.commphone.getringtones). :-( Joe, could you give
me some help here?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Michael C.
Michael C.
2006-07-20 21:55:05 UTC
Simon, Joe:

I have the VX8300 Calendar functions working correctly now, in that the
ringtones are assigned properly, in both reading and writing. I also
figured out that I had to do a manual re-read of the available ringtones
(via the "Read from Phone") to update the GUI. Joe, should this not be
more dynamic?

Simon, I am ready for your input for correcting the ringer and wallpaper
assignment for the phonebook.

Once I have the phonebook issues solved, I will send you the files for
submission to do a build, unless others need the calendar functions
prior to that, or if Roger wants to do a build beforehand.

Mike C.
Joe Pham
2006-07-25 02:44:28 UTC
I also figured out that I had to do a manual re-read of the
available ringtones (via the "Read from Phone") to update the GUI.
Joe, should this not be more dynamic?
Not sure what you meant, can you be more specific?

http://www.privatephone.com
Michael C.
2006-07-25 04:13:27 UTC
Joe,

Thanks for writing back. I was starting to wonder if you even got my
last message (I never saw it come back to me after I posted it).

I am attaching two pictures to help illustrate what I am talking about.

In the first picture, "before.jpg", you will see the listing of the
available ringtones. This list was generated by some bad code, which I
fixed in the code I sent you privately. In subsequent restarts of the
BitPim program, this list was not updated (apparently, it is cached in
some file); any new ringtones would not become visible to BitPim until
some user action forced BitPim to reread the phone's ringtone list. The
second picture, "after.jpg" shows what the list should have looked like
after using the updated code.

My question, put another way, is thus: Would it not be prudent to have
BitPim read the phone immediately upon starting it, or better yet,
rebuild some of the lists dynamically based upon what BitPim has in its
database? For example, the ringtones that are available (if not reading
the phone directly) are the builtins (available via the specific phone's
definition) plus the ringtones that are in the "Ringers" menu. The only
problem here is BitPim would not know of any ringers that are only on
the phone. Maybe the answer is "no".

In any case, forcing the update did solve my immediate problem of having
the bad list.

Mike

PS: FWIW, the problem that I faced was that some of the Built-In
ringtones were being overridden by the uploaded ones because the indices
were being incorrectly generated. The VX8300 does things so differently
than the VX8100, this had to be changed. This was fixed in the
2006-07-28 04:16:20 UTC
any new ringtones would not become visible to BitPim until some user
action forced BitPim to reread the phone's ringtone list.
That's correct.
rebuild some of the lists dynamically based upon what BitPim has in
its database?
BitPim does this everytime it reads or sends data from/to the phone.