[BitPim-devel] Not looking well on Samsung A920....
bfaye
2006-03-13 20:38:06 UTC
Its been a while since the Sanyo 8100, and I've gotten a new phone, the Samsung
A920. Preliminary probing indicates that when bitpim sends it AT$QCDMG (after
it sends AT+GMM in the beginning of filesystem browsing), the phone
hangs/doesn't respond, and the "usb connected" message on the phone itself
disappears.

Another annoyance is that the phone has a hard time getting to "usb connected"
mode. The drivers from Samsung works, in that the phone appears as an modem
when the usb cable is attached to the phone and computer, but the phone won't
respond to anything sent to its assigned com port, unless the "usb connected"
message is displayed on the phone. And getting it to go into that mode seems
to be random luck so far with the A920. My wife's A900 works much better in
this regard, and I get into the loop described in previous emails from another
A900 owner.

I'd like to help with the A920, but it seems like the suggestions for the A900
won't help much with this phone. I also tried a few of the AT+PBOKR(??)
commands mentioned recently and they come back with error when the phone did
connect properly. And just getting it connected in the right mode seems quite
troublesome. I already set the "Modem NAI" to off as well.

http://mail.yahoo.com
Stephen Wood
2006-03-14 04:29:08 UTC
Post by bfaye
I'd like to help with the A920, but it seems like the suggestions for the A900
won't help much with this phone. I also tried a few of the AT+PBOKR(??)
commands mentioned recently and they come back with error when the phone did
connect properly. And just getting it connected in the right mode seems quite
troublesome. I already set the "Modem NAI" to off as well.
If you manage to manage to get talking to the phone again, try sending the
"AT#PMODE=1" command first. I am not saying that will work, but for phones
where the PBOKR and similar commands work, the PMODE is needed first.

Stephen

--
Stephen Wood

One of the "Steves" of Project Steve at http://www.ncseweb.org/.
bfaye
2006-03-15 20:27:58 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
If you manage to manage to get talking to the phone again, try sending the
"AT#PMODE=3D1" command first. I am not saying that will work, but for phon=
es
where the PBOKR and similar commands work, the PMODE is needed first.
Stephen
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, that command also errors out.
As for the connection problem, I found a fix. I need to reset the port setting
in a hidden menu: menu->settings->security->0->data to USB CDC. The phone's
software sets the data port to null dev, and the diag port to USB CDC when
bitpim sends the AT$QCMDG command, so you have to go in and set the data port
to USB CDC (which sets the diag port back to null).

Any idea if there is something I can try by tweaking and running bitpim from
the source?

http://mail.yahoo.com
bfaye