[Bitpim-devel] Categories/groups
Roger Binns
2004-05-05 04:32:57 UTC
Stephen,

Do you do anything with categories/groups on the Sanyo phones?

I am busy moving the code from vx4400 into phonebook helper.
That code works out what the most popular ones are.

Roger
Todd Yocum
2004-05-05 13:52:54 UTC
I mention this just as a 'what if' question, not as any
kind of suggestion.

I was wondering if there is any synergy to be had between
bitpim and the Chandler project. Chandler is a PIM platform
written using Python and wxWindows. They just stabilized
their architecture and are looking for developer feedback.
Chandler is intended to be an open source personal information
manager for email, calendars, contacts, tasks, and general
information management, as well as a platform for developing
information management applications. It is currently under
development and will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux-based PC's.
http://www.osafoundation.org/

Again, I'm not suggesting that bitpim needs it, just
tossing the observation out there, fwiw.
Roger Binns
2004-05-05 14:54:55 UTC
Post by Todd Yocum
I mention this just as a 'what if' question, not as any
kind of suggestion.
I was wondering if there is any synergy to be had between
bitpim and the Chandler project. Chandler is a PIM platform
written using Python and wxWindows. They just stabilized
their architecture and are looking for developer feedback.
I am way ahead of you and will be visiting them next week :-)

Roger
Todd Yocum
2004-05-05 15:03:13 UTC
Heh. Cool. : )

I assume you'll be giving some kind of writeup from the visit?

I'm interested to know how much of a 'real deal' Chandler
is gonna be, I've been tracking them for a while. Sound like
a bunch of geeks with noble goals, my kind of people.
2004-05-05 23:53:02 UTC
Post by Todd Yocum
I assume you'll be giving some kind of writeup from the visit?
I had no intention of doing so.
Post by Todd Yocum
I'm interested to know how much of a 'real deal' Chandler
is gonna be, I've been tracking them for a while. Sound like
a bunch of geeks with noble goals, my kind of people.
So far all they have is an implmementation of the underlying
repository. The reason I volunteered to go talk to them is
that there are many arbitrary decisions you can make for
a repository, that later on can make cell phone synchronization
a real pain, or worst case impossible.

I definitely don't want to be in the pim space with BitPim
(yes, I know I could have picked a better name :-) I do
want BitPim to excel at supporting every feature of every
phone and do a very good job of it. Ultimately I would
be happy if the user interface could come from elsewhere
such as Chandler.

We'll see what happens.