[BitPim-devel] Looking for a new phone
Joe Pham
2005-09-28 04:24:25 UTC
Some bastard stole my old trusted and beloved A650 today! I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on eBay tonight. In any case, I finally have chance to get a new phone for myself. Any suggestions on a good one, preferrably one that BitPim does not yet support :-)

NetZero Is Giving Away $3,000 A Day!
Sign up for NetZero HiSpeed 3G with Instant On!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/3Gsweeps TODAY for your chance to win!
Brian Blakley
2005-09-28 04:31:58 UTC
Depending upon your carrier, a Motorola V710 or E815 is a great choice (and
BitPim doesn't support either yet). Both have some of the best RF performance
of any mobile out today. Check out http://www.v710.org for active discussion
forums on both of these phones.

2005-09-29 02:31:00 UTC
Post by Brian Blakley
Depending upon your carrier, a Motorola V710 or E815 is a great
choice
Thanks for the info. I have VZW. I looked up both the V710 and the E815 info, and they're advertized to be great phones. The V710 is somewhat caparable to the LG VX8100. Have not worked on a Motorola before, could be interesting.

Michael C.
2005-09-29 02:48:19 UTC
Joe,

I don't know how much you know about the Moto phones, but their
phonebooks, from a user's point of view, is different than the LGs or
Samsungs. I personally do not like them, as I like the way the LG and
Samsung phones work, on line-item per name, vs the Moto having one
line-item per phone number.

If you can live with the way the Moto phonebook works, the Moto phones
are great at reception; my local VZW rep loves the V710, and is the one
he recommended to a friend of mine.

Just my $0.02.

Mike
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-09-29 02:46:41 UTC
The E815 is a refined version of the V710.

A good friend has the E815 and likes it. I'm quite happy with my LG VX6100,
but the VX8100 also looks like a good phone.

I find Phonescoop to be a good reference site, and the HowardForums Verizon
section to be a good source of user feedback.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=665

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=663

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

John

2005-09-29 03:08:02 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
A good friend has the E815 and likes it. I'm quite happy with my LG
VX6100, but the VX8100 also looks like a good phone.
Thanks for the info. How's the 6100 working with BitPim?

Joe Pham
2005-09-29 03:11:26 UTC
Post by Michael C.
I don't know how much you know about the Moto phones, but their
phonebooks, from a user's point of view, is different than the LGs
or Samsungs.
Thanks for the info. Never owned a Moto phone before, have always used Samsung. That phonebook thing could be a factor.

Michael C.
2005-09-29 03:20:42 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Michael C.
I don't know how much you know about the Moto phones, but their
phonebooks, from a user's point of view, is different than the LGs
or Samsungs.
Thanks for the info. Never owned a Moto phone before, have always used Samsung. That phonebook thing could be a factor.
-Joe Pham
My suggestion is to go to your local VZW store and try one out. To me,
it was a deal-breaker. Other people love the phonebook. As the saying
goes, "to each their own."

Mike
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-09-29 03:28:40 UTC
2005-09-29 03:37:05 UTC
Is there a road map for BitPim development? With a lot of recent
contributions from Joe and Simon, it seems that BitPim is getting very
close to being finished. What functions are missing that prevent it
from being Version 1.0.0?

Mike
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-09-29 03:45:49 UTC
There is this todo list:

http://www.bitpim.org/todo.html

Beyond this, I'd say the Holy Grail is true two-way syncronization with a
desktop contacts/calendar system such as Outlook, or iCal/Address Book.

And, specifically on the Mac, the UI performance is really poor.

John

Simon C
2005-09-29 04:52:40 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
A good friend has the E815 and likes it. I'm quite happy with my LG
VX6100, but the VX8100 also looks like a good phone.
Thanks for the info. How's the 6100 working with BitPim?
Very well. Thanks to Roger's LG code, I was able to modify
and contribute
the original 6100 modules for BitPim last December.
Thanks to the recent mods (from Simon?), the Call History,
SMS, and writing
the calendar to the phone work now too!
It works OK, the only thing missing is the memo feature, I think it is
identical to the 4400, which is also not supported although the code is in
the 4400 class.
I did a quick test and adding the following lines to com_lgvx4400.py (ln
1436) makes the memo work on the 4400.
('memo', 'read', None), # all memo list reading
('memo', 'write', 'OVERWRITE'), # all memo list writing
I don't have access to a 6100 right at this moment, but I think the same
change is all that is required for the 6100, I did have a look a while ago
and I think it is the same as the 4400.

Simon
Simon C
2005-09-29 05:10:39 UTC
VZW just released the LG vx9800 if you want something that is almost a PDA,
apparently it does e-mail and has a real qwerty keyboard, probably not as
much fun as moto for adding to bitpim though.

What kind of features are you interested in on a phone.
Simon C
2005-09-29 05:22:08 UTC
New phones have MP3 players and video capabilities, new tabs could be added
to allow the user to manipulate these features.

Simon
2005-09-30 04:47:52 UTC
Post by Simon C
New phones have MP3 players and video capabilities, new tabs could be added
to allow the user to manipulate these features.
The audio tab already does all audio on the phone. The origin concept
takes care of the multiple disparite locations it can be in.

However I would expect that the phones will have nailed down areas
that do MP3 for purchase so that they don't have revenue due to
users not paying the carrier again for music they already own.

2005-09-30 02:10:20 UTC
Post by Michael C.
Is there a road map for BitPim development?
That's a good question. IMHO, I think BitPim's functionality and stability are pretty close to 1.0. Still, there're a few things I'd like to complete:

1. Help files.
2. Phone debugging mechanism/tools improvements.
3. User's reported bug Fixes.
4. GUI issues.

Joe Pham
2005-09-30 02:15:21 UTC
I'd say the Holy Grail is true two-way syncronization with a desktop
contacts/calendar system such as Outlook, or iCal/Address Book.
Holy Grail is the right term for it.
And, specifically on the Mac, the UI performance is really poor.
We can tweak a few things here and there, but for the most part, we're relying on the performance of wxPython library.

Joe Pham
2005-09-30 02:20:24 UTC
Post by Simon C
VZW just released the LG vx9800 if you want something that is almost
a PDA,
I went to a VZW store today and browsed around a bit. I looked at both the Moto E815 and the VX8100, and I'm leaning toward the VX8100 at this time, probably due to the familiarity factor. The store did not have the VX9800 on display; but from what I read that thing's fairly big.

Joe Pham
2005-09-30 02:21:36 UTC
Post by Simon C
New phones have MP3 players and video capabilities, new tabs could
be added to allow the user to manipulate these features.
Add them to the to do list.

Simon C
2005-09-30 03:37:38 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I went to a VZW store today and browsed around a bit. I
looked at both the Moto E815 and the VX8100, and I'm leaning
toward the VX8100 at this time, probably due to the
familiarity factor. The store did not have the VX9800 on
display; but from what I read that thing's fairly big.
The 8100 is a great phone, the bluetooth is really nice, I have bitpim
automatically sync from my outlook calender every 15 minutes during the day
when I'm near my desk.

vx9800 - Size: 4.57H x 1.97W x 1.0D inches Weight: 5.19 oz, internal antenna
vx8100 - Size: 3.58H x 1.92W x 1.03D inches Weight: 4.16 oz, does not
include the fixed antenna, this sticks out another inch

Simon
Simon C
2005-09-30 07:03:18 UTC
Post by Simon C
to allow the user to manipulate these features.
The audio tab already does all audio on the phone. The origin concept
takes care of the multiple disparite locations it can be in.
However I would expect that the phones will have nailed down areas
that do MP3 for purchase so that they don't have revenue due to
users not paying the carrier again for music they already own.
The 8100 treats the mp3 audio files differently from the ringtones. It is
possible to have mp3 ringtones and mp3 songs to use with the mp3 player.
When a user copies a file to the phone they will want to choose if it is a
mp3 song or a ringtone, I was thinking a separate tab labelled "MP3s" which
would essentially be the same as the ringer tab but with a different audio
locations and properties, in the future this could evolve to include
playlists if the phones supports them.

Simon
Roger Binns
2005-09-30 16:04:26 UTC
Post by Simon C
The 8100 treats the mp3 audio files differently from the ringtones. It is
possible to have mp3 ringtones and mp3 songs to use with the mp3 player.
The origin concept will cover that. All the phones do various quirky
things with various origins.
Post by Simon C
When a user copies a file to the phone they will want to choose if it is a
mp3 song or a ringtone,
That is where origins are especially relevant. We don't have gui code yet
to change origins, but that is all that is needed.

Roger
Simon C
2005-10-01 02:38:11 UTC
Post by Simon C
mp3 song or a ringtone,
That is where origins are especially relevant. We don't have
gui code yet
to change origins, but that is all that is needed.
So you are saying that all that is needed is a separate way of adding the
audio. Would a splitter window in the existing audio tab work, one for each
origin, this would allow users to drag from one origin to another.

Simon
Roger Binns
2005-10-02 22:07:21 UTC
Post by Simon C
So you are saying that all that is needed is a separate way of adding the
audio.
There is one tab with all audio in it. You can sort it by various
things including format, size and origin.
Post by Simon C
Would a splitter window in the existing audio tab work, one for each
origin, this would allow users to drag from one origin to another.
No need for a splitter. It should just be draggable if you have it
sorted by origin. Otherwise you should be able to do it from a
right click.

Roger
Simon C
2005-10-11 04:16:27 UTC
So which phone did you get?

Simon
Joe Pham
2005-10-11 21:54:57 UTC
Post by Simon C
So which phone did you get?
I have not gotten one yet. I was set to get the VX8100, but I read online that it might have some earpiece volume fading issue, which could be annoying. The Samsung A950 just came out, so I'm also looking into that; but nobody seems to have the cable for that one yet and I rather not enter all my info into the phone manually. The search continues ...

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!