[BitPim-devel] 0.8.09 built
Roger Binns
2006-03-21 06:41:33 UTC
http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=75211&package_id=120233

2006-03-21 22:09:53 UTC
I guess with the Linux issue, I suggest that we'd hold off this one for general release, and plan for another build next Monday.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Simon C
2006-03-21 22:35:43 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I guess with the Linux issue, I suggest that we'd
hold off this one for general release, and plan for
another build next Monday.
I am planning to merge in all the gui changes I've
been working on. I don't think it will be ready (help
updates, some time to find the bugs and fix them etc.)
by then.
Can we leave it an extra week?

Simon
Stephen Wood

Simon
Simon C
2006-03-22 01:08:42 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I think we should still announce this version, but
either note that the
Linux binary is broken, or remove it.
I agree, I think we should remove the linux build and
publish.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-22 04:03:18 UTC
Post by Simon C
Post by Stephen Wood
I think we should still announce this version, but
either note that the
Linux binary is broken, or remove it.
I agree, I think we should remove the linux build and
publish.
I've rebuilt the Linux build with the fix. Figured I needed
to test if the release numbering worked :-)

The Linux rpm on the site is now -1.

Roger
Simon C
2006-03-22 04:35:05 UTC
While testing the merge of the new tree interface I found that the convert
dialogs for wallpapers and ringers cause exceptions.
Try adding a ringer or wallpaper to reproduce. I also reproduced with the
0.8.09-official windows build.
The problem is that the these lines are missing from fileview.py:

basename=common.basename
stripext=common.stripext
getext=common.getext

I've checked in a fix, but this is after the merge of my tree code.
I think we should hold off releasing this version.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-22 05:08:58 UTC
Post by Simon C
I think we should hold off releasing this version.
Agreed.

What would be really nice is if someone wrote up a 'test plan'.
It would be a sequence of operations to perform that would
go through all relevant functionality. It would also perform
double duty for people authoring phone functionality. They
could run through with their model selected to make sure they
had implemented everything necessary.

Roger
Jerad Clark

All the evil in t
Joe Pham
2006-03-22 20:53:34 UTC
Post by Simon C
I think we should hold off releasing this version.
Agreed.
I'd still like to have another build next Monday with all of these issues (and any other ones that might pop up) cleaned up. Simon, if you need more time to test out your GUI changes, that could go into the build after that.

Simon C
2006-03-23 02:27:21 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I'd still like to have another build next Monday with all of
these issues (and any other ones that might pop up) cleaned
up. Simon, if you need more time to test out your GUI
changes, that could go into the build after that.
There are a lot of help files to be adjusted, but the code is looking stable
now, only one remaining issue with the today widget and that is not a
showstopper.
I checked the code in yesterday before I found the bug, doing a build
without it might be more work than usual if we need to remove it.

What would be really helpful is if people could try it out this week and
report any bugs found. I have been testing with windows and mac mainly.
The changes are completely isolated to the GUI, none of the phone code was
touched and none the worker thread code was touched, so if you do have time
to test focus on the GUI/database more than the phone functionality, test
things like import/export, deletion, addition, editing of data on the
different screens.
I also need ideas for the root widget. It just says "welcome to bitpim",
something nore substantial is needed.

Simon
s***@bitpim.org
2006-04-07 03:13:44 UTC
Agreed.
What would be really nice is if someone wrote up a 'test plan'.
It would be a sequence of operations to perform that would go through
all relevant functionality. It would also perform double duty for
people authoring phone functionality. They could run through with
their model selected to make sure they had implemented everything
necessary.
Ok, I think I've earnt the right to start on this.
My first thought would be to write a list of tests in tick list style for
someone to work through. They would be grouped in areas of functionality,
like wallpaper, ringers, global settings, phone detection, etc.
I don't want to use html, I don't have a good editor, and I want word
processing features in the authoring tool.
I would prefer to use MS word, will this work for everyone. If not I'm open
to suggestions.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-04-07 04:06:29 UTC
Post by s***@bitpim.org
I don't want to use html, I don't have a good editor,
Use plain text. Notepad is good enough.
Post by s***@bitpim.org
and I want word processing features in the authoring tool.
For what?

One of my goals is to move information into a wiki. I'd especially
like to build the online doc from it. My preferred choice of
wiki is MediaWiki (it is the same one Wikipedia uses). It is
really clean and well written and has a superb extension mechanism.
It can also be easily installed on SourceForge:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_MediaWiki_on_Sourceforge.net

I haven't worked out how to make backups of the database
and a few things like that (eg spam control).

Roger
Simon C
2006-04-07 05:16:48 UTC
For what?
It is going to be several pages once all the details are done, I think it
will need an index with navigation.
Post by Roger Binns
One of my goals is to move information into a wiki. I'd especially
like to build the online doc from it. My preferred choice of
wiki is MediaWiki (it is the same one Wikipedia uses). It is
really clean and well written and has a superb extension mechanism.
A wiki would work well for this.

Post by Roger Binns
I haven't worked out how to make backups of the database
and a few things like that (eg spam control).
How about a limited access trial?

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-04-07 06:44:22 UTC
Post by Simon C
It is going to be several pages once all the details are done, I think it
will need an index with navigation.
Use the Mediawiki syntax then. It is nicely human readable and
will give an automatic toc.
Post by Simon C
How about a limited access trial?
I won't be able to get to this till almost the end of the month.
Have a new APSW release to do and then friends visiting.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2006-04-07 17:16:09 UTC
Post by Simon C
How about a limited access trial?
I won't be able to get to this till almost the end of the month.
Have a new APSW release to do and then friends visiting.
Roger
I wouldn't mind setting up the wiki. What should the URL of the Wiki end
up being and are there any special requirements?

Stephen
Roger Binns
2006-04-07 19:56:30 UTC
I wouldn't mind setting up the wiki.
I recommend setting one up on a machine at home first.
You'll need to have PHP and MySQL working as well.
Post by Roger Binns
What should the URL of the Wiki end up being
We have the choice of making the whole site a wiki
or just part of it. If the former then there will
need to be remote APIs (eg XML-RPC) to manipulate
some of the content (eg making releases, updating
XML files). If the latter then bitpim.org/wiki
works for me. (We'll need use mod_rewrite to make
the URLS look nice).
Post by Roger Binns
and are there any special requirements?
The current scripts to publish web content will need to
be fixed. They use rsync and would blow away files
on the website they didn't know about (eg the whole wiki)

Roger
Stephen Wood
2006-04-22 15:11:58 UTC
We have the choice of making the whole site a wiki
or just part of it. If the former then there will
need to be remote APIs (eg XML-RPC) to manipulate
some of the content (eg making releases, updating
XML files).
Do you mean a script or bot that edits the home page, adding the
information about the latest release? What XML Files do you mean?
One of my goals is to move information into a wiki. I'd especially
like to build the online doc from it.
Is the idea that this would replace the help blocks stuff? Would the help
in BitPim then be derived from the Wiki? Or would the Wiki be updated from
the builtin help?

--
Stephen Wood

One of the "Steves" of Project Steve at http://www.ncseweb.org/.
Roger Binns
2006-04-24 05:03:23 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
Do you mean a script or bot that edits the home page, adding the
information about the latest release?
Yes, or more specifically "an automated process".
Post by Stephen Wood
What XML Files do you mean?
The one used by clients to check for updates:

http://bitpim.org/updates.xml
Post by Stephen Wood
Post by Roger Binns
One of my goals is to move information into a wiki. I'd especially
like to build the online doc from it.
Is the idea that this would replace the help blocks stuff? Would the help
in BitPim then be derived from the Wiki? Or would the Wiki be updated from
the builtin help?
HelpBlocks could be dropped. The help would be derived from the Wiki content.
A Windows Help project has to be generated from the content. That can just be
zipped up to make the .htb file and run through the Microsoft compiler to
make the .chm file.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2006-04-27 00:55:27 UTC
I would like to go ahead and start setting up the Wiki on the BitPim
website. I would like to migrate the current web content to the Wiki,
making the Wiki be the home page. As Roger suggests, the help will go
eventually into the Wiki, but initially we can keep doing the help the same
way and put a link to it from the Wiki.

Our web site and the files and directories needed for the Wiki have no
overlap in file names. Therefore the Wiki and the current website can
coexist. Everything in the Wiki goes through index.php. Since
index.htmlhas precedence (I checked),
http://www.bitpim.org/ will continue to show the current page. This will
give us time to play with the content and the look.

We'll need to keep makeweb.sh (or any other scripts used to update the web
pages) from clobering the wiki. It should be enough to remove the
"--delete" from the rsync line.

I would like the Wiki to be only modifiable to login users and only setup
accounts manually. But we can give accounts to users who express an
interest in editing the Wiki.

While it would be nice to automatically edit the home page of the Wiki when
we make a release, we don't have to wait for that. The updates.xml can be
updated however it is being updated now as it can exist in parallel to the
Wiki.

Comments?

Stephen
Roger Binns
2006-04-27 05:28:31 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
We'll need to keep makeweb.sh (or any other scripts used to update the web
pages) from clobering the wiki. It should be enough to remove the
"--delete" from the rsync line.
Can you find out if SourceForge supports mod_rewrite? If so then
we can put the wiki elsewhere on the site and use mod_rewrite
during the transition period as well as afterwards to make it
look like the wiki is the site.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2006-04-27 12:39:21 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
pages) from clobering the wiki. It should be enough to remove the
"--delete" from the rsync line.
Can you find out if SourceForge supports mod_rewrite? If so then
we can put the wiki elsewhere on the site and use mod_rewrite
during the transition period as well as afterwards to make it
look like the wiki is the site.
phpinfo() claims that it has mod_rewrite, although I havn't figure out how
to make it do such a simple thing. We'll still need to modify makeweb.sh to
not blow away the wiki subdirectory.

Stephen
Stephen Wood
2006-04-28 00:04:55 UTC
Roger:

Could you update and run makeweb.sh to make sure it copies .htaccess and
doesn't delete the wiki.

Thanks, Stephen
Roger Binns
2006-04-28 03:24:47 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
Could you update and run makeweb.sh to make sure it copies .htaccess and
doesn't delete the wiki.
Done.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2006-04-28 04:26:43 UTC
Thanks.

I'll start trying to setup the Wiki.

I'll probably have to do it twice because after setting up 2, only one of
which is on a machine I am root on, I refuse to believe that a Sourceforge
install has to be as complicated as described.

Stephen

Roger Binns
2006-04-28 04:57:02 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I'll probably have to do it twice because after setting up 2, only one of
which is on a machine I am root on, I refuse to believe that a Sourceforge
install has to be as complicated as described.
I certainly believe it us. SourceForge do lots of subtle configuration
differences to prevent users from abusing their systems. And I believe
they use Debian as well which is just that little bit different.

Roger

Simon C
2006-04-27 04:30:19 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I would like the Wiki to be only modifiable to login users
and only setup accounts manually. But we can give accounts
to users who express an interest in editing the Wiki.
While it would be nice to automatically edit the home page of
the Wiki when we make a release, we don't have to wait for
that. The updates.xml can be updated however it is being
updated now as it can exist in parallel to the Wiki.
Comments?
Yes, sign me up for an account.
Will you keep the existing work you have done on your test wiki?
I'd like to take a crack at the developer page and put some more into the
test plan

Simon
Stephen Wood
2006-04-27 04:43:51 UTC
Since there are not that many pages it will be easy to cut and paste from
the test Wiki. It will probably take a couple of days to setup the Wiki on
Sourceforge. Feel free to keep editing the test Wiki. I'll let you know
before I copy anything.

Stephen