[Bitpim-devel] LGVX4500,6000 wallpaper observations
Peter Dufault
2004-05-12 22:05:18 UTC
(OSX 10.3.3, LGVX4500, latest BitPim cvs'd at 5:30PM EDT, Verizon
Wireless cable)

After discovering that I managed to get the same crash as reported on
the bitpim-user list this AM, I decided to download and upload a bunch
of wallpapers.

So I downloaded and uploaded 16 of them, twice, without any problem.

Then I started to look at the images on the phone. Sometimes I'd get a
white background instead of an image, and then the phone would crash
(turn itself off). It would always start up again fine. The weird
thing is it wasn't always the same image, though if I started at the
first and moved forward it would always crash at the ninth.

I had noticed earlier that websites with wallpaper for the VX4500 use a
120x160 resolution, and not the 120x131 resolution set in bitpim. I
changed the resolution to 120x160 and downloaded an image and saw that
it worked fine on the VX4500.

Next I downloaded the images at 120x160, thinking maybe that was the
problem. I found that the images worked OK but the phone still hung
up. A little investigation shows that if I go directly to an image I
can see it, but if I start with an image and "left and right arrow"
through them I'll eventually get the white screen and then the phone is
toast. In other words, the images are sort of there, and if I go
directly to them I can reference them, but there is something screwy
about our "metadata" for the images.

So, three observations:

1 The screen resolution on the VX4500/VX6000 can probably be changed
from 120x131 to 120x160.

2 There is still screwiness about wallpaper on the VX4500.

3 I've only managed to get BitPim to crash once in the manner reported
this morning in spite of a lot of testing.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.
Roger Binns
2004-05-12 22:55:13 UTC
Post by Peter Dufault
Then I started to look at the images on the phone. Sometimes I'd get a
white background instead of an image, and then the phone would crash
(turn itself off).
The "white image" is what happens on the VX6000 if feeding it jpg.
(The preview is fine, but setting the image just gives white).
Post by Peter Dufault
directly to them I can reference them, but there is something screwy
about our "metadata" for the images.
That all suggests that the index files may have changed format etc.
The only way to check is to clear them out, and get content via
the phone (eg via downloads etc).
Post by Peter Dufault
1 The screen resolution on the VX4500/VX6000 can probably be changed
from 120x131 to 120x160.
I have the VX6000 and the 120x131 setting is fine.
Post by Peter Dufault
3 I've only managed to get BitPim to crash once in the manner reported
this morning in spite of a lot of testing.
In reality there is nothing we can do about the Mac crashes unless
someone can actually establish which line of code is triggering the
problem. There isn't any issue with the BitPim code, just that
wxWindows 2.4 isn't that good for Mac. The next release 2.5 is a lot
better for Mac support and we will be moving to it.

Roger
Peter Dufault
2004-05-12 23:08:10 UTC
That all suggests that the index files may have changed format etc.
The only way to check is to clear them out, and get content via
the phone (eg via downloads etc).
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean clear out the phone,
down-load wallpaper via something other than BitPim, and then do
uploads of the stuff downloaded and look at the logs to
reverse-engineer any changes? If so I'll leave that to someone else as
I only use BitPim.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.