[BitPim-devel] Anyone working on Fusic (LG LX550)? Seeking help
Wei Hu
2006-09-25 03:39:45 UTC
Hi There,

I just got this slick piece from Sprint and came aross this BitPim software.
I found this program was awesome but sadly it doesn't support my phone.

The generic brew file system interface worked fine, but access to the
nvm directory was blocked by the provider.
I'm wondering if this directory is important? I understand bitpim
uses it to read the unique ESN, but are there other significant files
under that directory? Does the blocking of the directory mean there's
no hope in supporting this model?

I tried to make sense out of the file system structures. Some looked
easy, while others are harder to figure out.

I'm working on modifying the LG LX5550 module, which is in turn
derived from the LG VX4400 module.
Since the nvm directory, I had to comment out the line that reads ESN
from the getfundamentals function defined in com_lgvx4400.py. Then I
hit an out of boundary access when the module read the phone book. I
eyeballed the pbook_group.dat file and feel this is a pretty simple
structure. But it's hard for me to modify the python code since I'm
totally new to python. And I expect more problems along the road.

Since I don't have any previous experience with BitPim, I'd be happy
to work with someone who is more experienced and interested in working
on LX550. It's really hard for me to understand every bit of the code
without having a supported phone to get started.

Please let me know if you're interested in supporting this model, thanks a lot!

By the way, how do I debug the code on Windows? On linux I was able
to give a '-m pdb' option to python, but on Windows it seems I can't.

Thanks,
Wei
Roger Binns
2006-09-25 03:56:09 UTC
Post by Wei Hu
The generic brew file system interface worked fine, but access to the
nvm directory was blocked by the provider.
I'm wondering if this directory is important?
That varies by phone model. Some phones store everything below nvm.
Post by Wei Hu
I understand bitpim
uses it to read the unique ESN, but are there other significant files
under that directory?
There may be the wallpaper and ringtones as well as their index files.
Post by Wei Hu
I tried to make sense out of the file system structures. Some looked
easy, while others are harder to figure out.
That is because they just keep hacking the code. Software isn't a
profit centre fro these phones, so they do the minimum amount of
spending necessary to make them functional. It shows when you see what
is under the hood.
Post by Wei Hu
Then I
hit an out of boundary access when the module read the phone book. I
eyeballed the pbook_group.dat file and feel this is a pretty simple
structure. But it's hard for me to modify the python code since I'm
totally new to python. And I expect more problems along the road.
You'll need to understand the analyser as well as packetdescription.txt
in the dev-doc directory. Note that LG does like to change the size of
almost every phonebook field between releases.

Roger
Wei Hu
2006-09-25 04:37:41 UTC
Hi Roger,
Post by Roger Binns
Post by Wei Hu
I understand bitpim
uses it to read the unique ESN, but are there other significant files
under that directory?
There may be the wallpaper and ringtones as well as their index files.
Good, I saw they are under other directories.

Thanks for your help.

Wei